Samuel Taylor Coleridge
A Day Dream
My eyes make pictures when they're shut:--
I see a fountain large and fair,
A Willow and a ruined Hut,
And thee, and me, and Mary there.
O Mary! make thy gentle lap our pillow!
Bend o'er us, like a bower, my beautiful green Willow!
A wild-rose roofs the ruined shed,
And that and summer well agree
And lo! where Mary leans her head,
Two dear names carved upon the tree!
And Mary's tears, they are not tears of sorrow:
Our sister and our friend will both be here to-morrow.
'Twas Day! But now few, large, and bright
The stars are round the crescent moon!
And now it is a dark warm Night,
The balmiest of the month of June!
A glow-worm fallen, and on the marge remounting
Shines, and its shadow shines, fit stars for our sweet fountain.
O ever -- ever be thou blest!
For dearly, Asra! love I thee!
This brooding warmth across my breast,
This depth of tranquil bliss -- ah me!
Fount, Tree, and Shed are gone, I know not whither,
But in one quiet room we three are still together.
The shadows dance upon the wall,
By the still dancing fire-flames made;
And now they slumber, moveless all!
And now they melt to one deep shade!
But not from me shall this mild darkness steal thee:
I dream thee with mine eyes, and at my heart I feel thee!
Thine eyelash on my cheek doth play--
'Tis Mary's hand upon my brow!
But let me check this tender lay,
Which none may hear but she and thou!
Like the still hive at quiet midnight humming,
Murmur it to yourselves, ye two beloved women!
Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Day Dream by Samuel Taylor Coleridge )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Cos Their Real Money 2, sEaN nOrTh
- Indian Republic Day,2015, Dr John Celes
- humans, lee fones
- hunger, oskar hansen
- Ideals Of Views, Margaret Alice Second
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
- [VIDEO]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode .., Renz Barns
- Still my tears flow, Wala' Qamhieh
- A Christmas poem: Twelve Things About Ch.., Loyd C. Taylor
- Twelve Things About Christmas Past, Loyd C. Taylor