A Date To Remember
We met these two guys, on a Saturday night,
The air felt crisp, and the moon shone bright.
They pulled up beside us, in their Lovemobile,
With cheesy smiles, and wheels of steel.
With the usual patter, we set up a date,
We'll meet up tomorrow, and don't be late!
Then go for a spin, to a local pub,
There's a pool table there, and some cracking grub!
Our carriage arrived, the very next day,
We jumped in the back, and were on our way!
Last night, they looked fine, by the light of the dash,
But the date was set up, in one mad rush!
I had searched high and low, for my Steve McQueen,
But instead, I was lumbered with Mr Bean!
When he turned to smile, I gave such a gasp!
He looked like a Bulldog, chewing a wasp!
Now, I'm no oil painting, and the first to agree!
But he wasn't my type, he just wasn't for me!
We had to hatch something, come up with a plan!
How on earth, could we get out of this? I felt like Desperate Dan!
We arrived at the pub, and made our way in,
Let's sit here! He said, with that cheesy grin!
We're off to the Ladies! I suddenly said,
As this crazy idea, crept into my head!
We clawed our way out, like rats from a sack!
Straight through the exit door, there at the back!
We legged it through fields, with the wind in our hair!
As if, we'd been chased, by a Mad Grizzly Bear!
And the moral of the story is?
When planning a date, do yourself a favour!
Get an eye test first!
I only wish, that I'd gone to Specsavers!
Jayne Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Date To Remember by Jayne Davies )
Did you read them?
- Sailstarred, Sandsifting, Seaweed Script.., Saiom Shriver
- The art of love and affection!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Heaven with the Creator, Althea Marshall Wypyszczak
- Prison diary, Shikdar Waliuzzaman
- Mules, Saiom Shriver
- Abandoned Cocoon, Saiom Shriver
- I would cross, Ruma Chaudhuri
- Sometimes, Mark Webster
- Things of crumbs, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Lighthouse, Sarah Liz Bowman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)