A Date To Remember
We met these two guys, on a Saturday night,
The air felt crisp, and the moon shone bright.
They pulled up beside us, in their Lovemobile,
With cheesy smiles, and wheels of steel.
With the usual patter, we set up a date,
We'll meet up tomorrow, and don't be late!
Then go for a spin, to a local pub,
There's a pool table there, and some cracking grub!
Our carriage arrived, the very next day,
We jumped in the back, and were on our way!
Last night, they looked fine, by the light of the dash,
But the date was set up, in one mad rush!
I had searched high and low, for my Steve McQueen,
But instead, I was lumbered with Mr Bean!
When he turned to smile, I gave such a gasp!
He looked like a Bulldog, chewing a wasp!
Now, I'm no oil painting, and the first to agree!
But he wasn't my type, he just wasn't for me!
We had to hatch something, come up with a plan!
How on earth, could we get out of this? I felt like Desperate Dan!
We arrived at the pub, and made our way in,
Let's sit here! He said, with that cheesy grin!
We're off to the Ladies! I suddenly said,
As this crazy idea, crept into my head!
We clawed our way out, like rats from a sack!
Straight through the exit door, there at the back!
We legged it through fields, with the wind in our hair!
As if, we'd been chased, by a Mad Grizzly Bear!
And the moral of the story is?
When planning a date, do yourself a favour!
Get an eye test first!
I only wish, that I'd gone to Specsavers!
Jayne Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Date To Remember by Jayne Davies )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Suicide in the Trenches, Siegfried Sassoon
Poem of the Day
- Textology - 3. Mistakes, Joseph Archer
- Your smile, Leong Ming Loong
- everything is ok, Cee Bea
- मेरी तनहाइयां..............., sanjay kumar maurya
- Curses Of Much, Naveed Akram
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- witness, Cee Bea
- It Was Delightfully Cold, Naveed Akram
- DUAL ROLE, MBJ Pancras
- My One True Love, Leong Ming Loong