IN days of ancient history
Who were you? Tell me if you know.
Between your kisses answer me
Were you a faun by Castaly
Tracking Urania or Clio?
Or a white boy in Arcady
Were you a satin-supple page
Swinging a curtain to and fro,
Chanting some impudent addage
Of love, Chicot?
Were you the subtlest cardinal
That ever blessing did bestow?
At Fontarabia did you fall,
Or at some monarch' table set,
Did the bells twink at wrist and toe?
Were you Brusquet or Dagonet,
Or else, Chicot?
Something you were of all of these,
Wise, gay, serene--that hid below,
More sad for all your subtleties,
You brace your armor well tonight,--
Too well for any blood to flow;
You'd not betray in any fight
A wound, Chicot!
I think you would not flinch beneath
Life's whips, but after every blow
Stand up again, and set your teeth
And smile, Chicot.
Weariness waits on wariness,
There's leaping flame beneath the snow--
All sorts of things that none would guess
Of you, Chicot!
Are you a lover? No and yes!
Are you a comrade? Yes and no!
What are you? Neither more nor less
Than just Chicot!
Take what a passing poet sings
Before to-morrow bids us go,
In memory of--many things,
And you, Chicot!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Chicot by Muriel Stuart )
- Depression, Alesia Leach
- Seashore Gratitude, Liilia Talts Morrison
- The Path Of The King, vince gullaci
- The Present, bryan wallace
- Vieze oren, Schone ogen, Madrason writer
- The Purple Lady., Achill Ladd
- My World, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Just Write It, Mark R. Elias
- A PHOTOGRAPH OF MYSELF AT AGE TEN, TAKEN.., NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Dainty Little Poem, Mark R. Elias
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)