Robert William Service
That boy I took in the car last night,
With the body that awfully sagged away,
And the lips blood-crisped, and the eyes flame-bright,
And the poor hands folded and cold as clay --
Oh, I've thought and I've thought of him all the day.
For the weary old doctor says to me:
"He'll only last for an hour or so.
Both of his legs below the knee
Blown off by a bomb. . . . So, lad, go slow,
And please remember, he doesn't know."
So I tried to drive with never a jar;
And there was I cursing the road like mad,
When I hears a ghost of a voice from the car:
"Tell me, old chap, have I `copped it' bad?"
So I answers "No," and he says, "I'm glad."
"Glad," says he, "for at twenty-two
Life's so splendid, I hate to go.
There's so much good that a chap might do,
And I've fought from the start and I've suffered so.
'Twould be hard to get knocked out now, you know."
"Forget it," says I; then I drove awhile,
And I passed him a cheery word or two;
But he didn't answer for many a mile,
So just as the hospital hove in view,
Says I: "Is there nothing that I can do?"
Then he opens his eyes and he smiles at me;
And he takes my hand in his trembling hold;
"Thank you -- you're far too kind," says he:
"I'm awfully comfy -- stay . . . let's see:
I fancy my blanket's come unrolled --
My feet, please wrap 'em -- they're cold . . . they're cold."
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Casualty by Robert William Service )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 February 1970-)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Take My Hand, Michael P. McParland
- two line, Razaur Rahman
- WHERE STUPIDITY REIGNS, Michael P. Johnson
- Dillema of Poor, hafiz qasim
- The way Of Man, Tony Adah
- God, Save Me From Indian English Poets (.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Hollow Reed, Midnights Voice
- गोजां बोथोर - सोरबा नागिरदोँ गुदुं गुदुं, Ronjoy Brahma
- Rainfall, hafiz qasim
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'Insomnia', Merton Lee