Kazi Nazrul Islam
A Call from Behind
Dear! Wilt thou remember me in thy new home?
There dost thou begin the world under
new auspices with new offerings
Deserted is now the leafy cottage; its
shady neighborhood where we two
first exchanged our looks, where
every particle of dust, every.
creeper and leaf is redolent
of the wealth of eternal acquaintance
in the worship of hearts,
And a dismal void now cries in the wilderness.
As didst thou forget me, many a man could
come to thee,
Then out of sympathy for me would that
cottage weep out an offended heart,
Wherever dist thou turn thy eyes,
my reminiscences there made thy heart ache,
Thou wilt drown that reproach here
in the depths of new field;
I alone am lost in the woods' of oblivion.
The distance between thee and me was so
long no real distance,
As that old mansion would bring my
distance into nearness.
Now hast thou formed new ties,
Opened a new fountain of laughter and tears,
New performance and new revelry of song,
Under the impulse of new welcome!
To the cold storage my own tune is consigned.
Dear! Mine is today forlorn hope, as
pre-ordained by the divinity,
Today on my grave will be built thy bridal
In the air is echoed and re-echoed
The music of the Sylvan flute in the mouth
of some cow-herd,
Lost, lost am I in the western horizon!
Farewell, Dear, our role comes to an end
with the setting sun,
Now art thou a new one in a new home!
[Translation: Abdul Hakim]
Kazi Nazrul Islam's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Call from Behind by Kazi Nazrul Islam )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Invest the present, gajanan mishra
- Free Gaff! !, Damian Murphy
- Blizzards are not snows, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- w0rk ya mAjiK - (Selah (take a moment to.., sEaN nOrTh
- At the End of the Rainbow, Reagan A. Latumbo
- yeah you got all the answers i know - an.., sEaN nOrTh
- Life-death bicycle, gajanan mishra
- Broken Not Forgotten, Melissa Furey
- 2 ReaD A LinE Or 2 - Sh# ThaT they $mOkE.., sEaN nOrTh
- The Past, Sari Mavi