Robert William Service
A Busy Man
This crowded life of God's good giving
No man has relished more than I;
I've been so goldarned busy living
I've never had the time to die.
So busy fishing, hunting, roving,
Up on my toes and fighting fit;
So busy singing, laughing, loving,
I've never had the time to quit.
I've never been one for thinking
I've always been the action guy;
I've done my share of feasting, drinking,
And lots of wenching on the sly.
What all the blasted cosmic show meant,
I've never tried to understand;
I've always lived just for the moment,
And done the thing that came to hand.
And now I'll toddle to the garden
And light a good old Henry Clay.
I'm ninety odd, so Lord, please pardon
My frequent lapses by the way.
I'm getting tired; the sunset lingers;
The evening star serenes the sky;
The damn cigar burns to my fingers . . .
I guess . . . I'll take . . . time off . . . to die.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Busy Man by Robert William Service )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Tick, tick, Aromantic Birds in Love, Harindhar Reddy
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the round spoon], Chimako Tada
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the hot water in], Chimako Tada
- Person of the Playful Star: Tanka [I lis.., Chimako Tada
- Love Whips You on Naked Back, Harindhar Reddy
- ~I'm Going Home~, E Nigma
- Smile poem love, Elius Rubby
- The Birds and the Fish Cry out in the Fa.., Harindhar Reddy
- Bad Grandpa, Tom Zart
- train my heart to rise like yeast and my.., Mandolyn ...