RoseAnn V. Shawiak
A Brother's Dilemma
What is this thing called death?
I have no understanding of it's meaning, as I'm only
three years old.
Everyone around me is either cross or crying, I don't
know what I'm supposed to do.
Mommy went to the hospital to have my baby brother,
he should've come home with her by now.
Yet, friends and family come and take me with them, I
want to stay at home where I feel safe.
No one listens to me, it's a dilemma, I go to my room
and lie on my bed.
Maybe if I sleep for a while and then wake up, every-
thing will be alright again.
It's really scary seeing grown-ups cry when I don't
know why they're doing it.
Mom is home without my baby brother, I haven't seen
or held his hand yet.
Where is he? Why did Mommy leave him all alone some-
where? He's going to be scared.
Lying in my little bed tonight, I can hear Daddy and
Mommy talking and crying.
I'm worried about them. Did I do something wrong?
Is it my fault this is all happening?
As I fall asleep, tears spill onto my pillow, as I
promise that I'll try and be real, real good
RoseAnn V. Shawiak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Brother's Dilemma by RoseAnn V. Shawiak )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Sacrafice, Levi Crum
- The Dent, Levi Crum
- Shadowmerge, Saiom Shriver
- Life is Cruel, Levi Crum
- Him, Levi Crum
- Watching Language Through Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Lady, Michael P. McParland
- OH! winter, let it snow again, Juwon Daniel
- The Run For Glory, Karen GonzalezVidela
- Like A Needle And A Thread Did Wed (By S.., Anastasia Hunt