RoseAnn V. Shawiak
A Brother's Dilemma
What is this thing called death?
I have no understanding of it's meaning, as I'm only
three years old.
Everyone around me is either cross or crying, I don't
know what I'm supposed to do.
Mommy went to the hospital to have my baby brother,
he should've come home with her by now.
Yet, friends and family come and take me with them, I
want to stay at home where I feel safe.
No one listens to me, it's a dilemma, I go to my room
and lie on my bed.
Maybe if I sleep for a while and then wake up, every-
thing will be alright again.
It's really scary seeing grown-ups cry when I don't
know why they're doing it.
Mom is home without my baby brother, I haven't seen
or held his hand yet.
Where is he? Why did Mommy leave him all alone some-
where? He's going to be scared.
Lying in my little bed tonight, I can hear Daddy and
Mommy talking and crying.
I'm worried about them. Did I do something wrong?
Is it my fault this is all happening?
As I fall asleep, tears spill onto my pillow, as I
promise that I'll try and be real, real good
RoseAnn V. Shawiak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Brother's Dilemma by RoseAnn V. Shawiak )
Did you read them?
- A pair of eyes, Cigeng Zhang
- Dying In The Truth, Dexsta Ray
- The Purple Ant, Bhargabi Dei Mahakul
- Just For Me, Elia Michael
- A Sad Bird, Rohit Sapra
- we are a perfect promenade, Mandolyn ...
- When Love Opened The Door, Lora Colon
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As Soon as Fred Gets Out of Bed, Jack Prelutsky
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)