Alon Calinao Dy
A Brainy King
An Arab man greeted me,
(Peace be upon you)
'Wa alaykum s-salam, '
(Peace be with you too)
I answered politely.
He asked me,
'Fen Hammam? '
(Where is the toilet?)
I said, 'Asif. La a'rif, sir.'
(Sorry. I don't know, sir)
He further commented,
'Lesh, mafi muk! '
(Why, you have no brain!)
I just smiled,
And he disappeared.
...In the Middle East,
You should learn something-
Basic Arabic phrases at least.
So, you won't end up like me-
By this brainy king!
Lessons for that day:
Understand someone's shoes,
Be careful what you wish for,
And watch out every word you say
For it may all speak about you.
Alon Calinao Dy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Brainy King by Alon Calinao Dy )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 March 1819 – 1889)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Case Of Murder, Vernon Scannell
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Candadi Kelidara Vistara, Shishunala Sharif
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- Beautiful Inside, Paul Holmes
Poem of the Day
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak