Alon Calinao Dy
A Brainy King
An Arab man greeted me,
(Peace be upon you)
'Wa alaykum s-salam, '
(Peace be with you too)
I answered politely.
He asked me,
'Fen Hammam? '
(Where is the toilet?)
I said, 'Asif. La a'rif, sir.'
(Sorry. I don't know, sir)
He further commented,
'Lesh, mafi muk! '
(Why, you have no brain!)
I just smiled,
And he disappeared.
...In the Middle East,
You should learn something-
Basic Arabic phrases at least.
So, you won't end up like me-
By this brainy king!
Lessons for that day:
Understand someone's shoes,
Be careful what you wish for,
And watch out every word you say
For it may all speak about you.
Alon Calinao Dy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Brainy King by Alon Calinao Dy )
- millions of pleasure...., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- My Dear Sweet Kira, Michael McParland
- The Writing Competition!, Denis Martindale
- Daru Piyo, Talk To The Girl And Do Naxal.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love and Strange Horses—Intima', Nathalie Handal
- debris, oskar hansen
- Les Éventails, Portraits of Passion, Nathalie Handal
- The Hooked & Crooked Men As The Communis.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Star chat........., SALINI NAIR
- Chicane, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
Poem of the Day
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1886 - 1967)