On a sea strand,
Have you watched empty shells
Mercilessly tossed from sea to shore
And from shore to sea?
Often I shrink and reduce to such a shell,
With jagged and broken edges
Colourless and empty
Lying half buried under the sand,
Among many castaways,
Waiting for the mother or father wave
To wash me away.
How tedious is my voyage
Shuttling from father to mother
And from mother to father
Unable to openly confess
Who weighs more
On the balance of preference
Through how many alleys and by ways
I have wandered, questioning my identity!
Am I a puffer fish
Being toxic, the fisher men have discarded?
Or a jarring note in a discordant symphony?
I wonder! I often ask myself!
Destined to grow
In mercurial climes,
Planted in arid shallow soil
With the tap root trimmed,
I, a stunted bonsai!
Still I dream to be a towering tree,
That in profusion gives fruits and shade
A midget aspiring to be a Goliath
A hollow reed,
Longing at once to be the singer and the song!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Bonsai by Valsa George )
Did you read them?
- Auto-bond, gajanan mishra
- Rush race, gajanan mishra
- Brothers, Nassy Fesharaki
- I Understand, michael walkerjohn
- Knowledge is a must, gajanan mishra
- BOUND BY YOUR OWN CHAINS (Release of Fre.., michael walkerjohn
- Flight of Chance, michael walkerjohn
- A Patch of Earth under a Thatch of Sky , John Tansey
- Genuine The Gift, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I Asked You, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1927)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)