On a sea strand,
Have you watched empty shells
Mercilessly tossed from sea to shore
And from shore to sea?
Often I shrink and reduce to such a shell,
With jagged and broken edges
Colourless and empty
Lying half buried under the sand,
Among many castaways,
Waiting for the mother or father wave
To wash me away.
How tedious is my voyage
Shuttling from father to mother
And from mother to father
Unable to openly confess
Who weighs more
On the balance of preference
Through how many alleys and by ways
I have wandered, questioning my identity!
Am I a puffer fish
Being toxic, the fisher men have discarded?
Or a jarring note in a discordant symphony?
I wonder! I often ask myself!
Destined to grow
In mercurial climes,
Planted in arid shallow soil
With the tap root trimmed,
I, a stunted bonsai!
Still I dream to be a towering tree,
That in profusion gives fruits and shade
A midget aspiring to be a Goliath
A hollow reed,
Longing at once to be the singer and the song!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Bonsai by Valsa George )
Did you read them?
- Court of Life, Kolade Seun
- Entropic Being., John Lee Williams
- What The Tortoise Said, Tony Adah
- Forgiveness, Tiger Lily
- Stature, Nassy Fesharaki
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 6, ramesh rai
- Man Overboard, Tiffany Alexis
- The World Is Confounded, Tony Adah
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 5, ramesh rai
- Lost At Sea, Margaret Alice Second
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)