On a sea strand,
Have you watched empty shells
Mercilessly tossed from sea to shore
And from shore to sea?
Often I shrink and reduce to such a shell,
With jagged and broken edges
Colourless and empty
Lying half buried under the sand,
Among many castaways,
Waiting for the mother or father wave
To wash me away.
How tedious is my voyage
Shuttling from father to mother
And from mother to father
Unable to openly confess
Who weighs more
On the balance of preference
Through how many alleys and by ways
I have wandered, questioning my identity!
Am I a puffer fish
Being toxic, the fisher men have discarded?
Or a jarring note in a discordant symphony?
I wonder! I often ask myself!
Destined to grow
In mercurial climes,
Planted in arid shallow soil
With the tap root trimmed,
I, a stunted bonsai!
Still I dream to be a towering tree,
That in profusion gives fruits and shade
A midget aspiring to be a Goliath
A hollow reed,
Longing at once to be the singer and the song!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Bonsai by Valsa George )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen
- It Pushes It Out, Luis Estable
- Vatsyayana, You Had No Book To Write, Bu.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blood Is Never Water, Luis Estable