James Arlington Wright
Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
Darken with kindness.
They have come gladly out of the willows
To welcome my friend and me.
We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
That we have come.
They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
There is no loneliness like theirs.
At home once more, they begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
For she has walked over to me
And nuzzled my left hand.
She is black and white,
Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
Suddenly I realize
That if I stepped out of my body I would break
James Arlington Wright's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Blessing by James Arlington Wright )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(march 12 1950)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Fish, Elizabeth Bishop
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham
- A Most Happy Holiday, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie
- You Keep The Sea, Naveed Akram
- There's nothing like dance, Yisel Chong
- No One Could Ever Understand, Thabang Rakimane
- You made me evil, Yisel Chong
- The time machine, Yisel Chong
- Blue-eyed boy Mr. Death for e.e. cummings, r james sterzinger