Almedia Knight Oliver
A Black Woman's Quest
My mind goes up... and goes down!
At times, performing like a clown
Trying to throw off mortality that's
weighing me down
Mind bending. I can’t sleep
Now I lay me down to sleep tuning
in to the ins and out of my breath
justa “a-raising Cain” in my chest.
I’ve swallowed life in, and spit it out
and sipping red wine until knocked out
Voluminous times life left only lemon rinds
I ground and made lemonade instead of wine
My speech now is done echoing truth…
My breath has labored way too much
Through miles of smiles, and frowns; and
through flaming fires I made it through!
“I am” peace and joy melted into my life.
Almedia Knight Oliver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Black Woman's Quest by Almedia Knight Oliver )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Why to think?, hasmukh amathalal
- Through my window sill, binod bastola
- The bondage, hasmukh amathalal
- Brain's Ocean, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Defamation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Horoscopes, gajanan mishra
- Lovely and pleasant, hasmukh amathalal
- A New Experience, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Messages and Messengers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- you know who you are, Clara Keiper