Almedia Knight Oliver
A Black Woman's Quest
My mind goes up... and goes down!
At times, performing like a clown
Trying to throw off mortality that's
weighing me down
Mind bending. I can’t sleep
Now I lay me down to sleep tuning
in to the ins and out of my breath
justa “a-raising Cain” in my chest.
I’ve swallowed life in, and spit it out
and sipping red wine until knocked out
Voluminous times life left only lemon rinds
I ground and made lemonade instead of wine
My speech now is done echoing truth…
My breath has labored way too much
Through miles of smiles, and frowns; and
through flaming fires I made it through!
“I am” peace and joy melted into my life.
Almedia Knight Oliver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Black Woman's Quest by Almedia Knight Oliver )
- Fair And Equal World, Asghar Nazeer
- Really, it was, gajanan mishra
- Paradox, Paula Glynn
- i write because i'm not very good at darts, Mandolyn ...
- September, Charles Hancock
- Once Summer Comes, Edgar Stevenson
- My Address, gajanan mishra
- With Dogs And Rats, Aftab Alam
- If I Were A Child, Randy McClave
- Who Wilt Preach?, Sir Toby