A Baby Mockingbird
Sitting in my front yard,
A mockingbird fell from a tree.
And I couldn't see it in my heart,
To just sit there and let him be.
I picked him up, amid the din,
His parents were raising all around.
With so many cats, it would have been a sin,
To leave him sitting on the ground.
I tried to put him in his tree,
But he flew down again.
It seems to me he couldn't see,
The danger he was in.
I took him inside, and put him in,
A little bird cage that I have.
Planning to return him to his kin,
When he was strong enough to leave.
In the morning I went to see the mockingbird,
Just to make sure that he was fed.
And though no peep all night I heard,
The little mockingbird was dead.
It broke my heart to see him so,
And now my soul is in a rage.
All I wanted was to see him go,
None of God's creatures should be caged.
7/15/10 Alton Texas
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Baby Mockingbird by Juan Olivarez )
- Grace Me, Michael McParland
- 168., John Westlake
- The Stuff We Are Made Of., Tony Adah
- remembering the wedding Anniversary.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Fishing For An Appropriate Taste, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Let us not be, hasmukh amathalal
- Is Life?, Neela Nath
- Star Tree, douglas scotney
- The Road to Heaven is Only One, Dr John Celes
- Capable and real, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)