A Baby Mockingbird
Sitting in my front yard,
A mockingbird fell from a tree.
And I couldn't see it in my heart,
To just sit there and let him be.
I picked him up, amid the din,
His parents were raising all around.
With so many cats, it would have been a sin,
To leave him sitting on the ground.
I tried to put him in his tree,
But he flew down again.
It seems to me he couldn't see,
The danger he was in.
I took him inside, and put him in,
A little bird cage that I have.
Planning to return him to his kin,
When he was strong enough to leave.
In the morning I went to see the mockingbird,
Just to make sure that he was fed.
And though no peep all night I heard,
The little mockingbird was dead.
It broke my heart to see him so,
And now my soul is in a rage.
All I wanted was to see him go,
None of God's creatures should be caged.
7/15/10 Alton Texas
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Baby Mockingbird by Juan Olivarez )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- North peaks, Dwitun Basumatary
- EVOKING IMAGES, Satish Verma
- Bewitched, Dwitun Basumatary
- Once More, Marites C. Cayetano
- Now it is my turn, gajanan mishra
- The Riches, Cee Bea
- Forgotten, Priyanka Bhowmick
- The courage to fight, Yisel Chong
- Segment replicates the Whole, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Monday After The Weekend, Ernest Elliot Daka