7am Passing By
Black polythene bags disgorging detritus
An urban comet trail along the path
Limned faintly in morning frost, cars passing, oblivious.
There, below an incongruous vermillion balaclava,
Framing a bearded wreck of a face,
Egg-yolk eyes blear vacantly
Through an indeterminate fuzz of grimy facial hair.
Tremulous, liver spotted hands on
Emaciated, bony wrists clutching a can of beer.
7a.m. Commuters pass, indifferent, apart.
A thin patina of of grime, helplessness and loss
Clings to this dessicated, withered hull.
A discarded, broken party balloon
Imbued with the wan hue of incipient
Hepatic surrender interspersed with the
Spidered red veinous signatures
Of dissolution and despair.
They will likely be there tomorrow
These remains of a boy.
Martin O'Neill's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (7am Passing By by Martin O'Neill )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- My Maiden's Love Is Like A Cloud In June, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- दिल को हरदम dil ko hardam, hasmukh amathalal
- Ode To Envy, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- Time be quite, Filippo Stella
- Domestic goddess, Mark Heathcote
- Blank Depression, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- The tears of human race, Great Emeritus
- Capsule Of Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- MY own fault, hasmukh amathalal
- on returning to my part time job-, Mandolyn ...