3-year old among 13 shot in Sanford Fla., or Chicago? (9/19/13)
Thursday night basketball at a south side Chicago park,
Gunfire amidst chaos as shots echoed loudly in the dark,
Our culprits? DreadLocked men in a dark colored sedan,
The tally would have been even greater had some not ran.
Mr. George Zimmerman did not get dressed up in a wig,
Isn’t this incident & those like it worse than what he did?
How many Black Entertainers boycott Chicago, Illinois?
And why wasn’t this 3-year old home playing with toys?
Ok, Chicago’s the, “Murder Capital” of our society but alas,
Is there any truth to less gun violence if certain bills pass?
Tougher sentences & extended penalties with stiffer fines,
Enough of time off for good-behavior do every bit of time.
Julian Harris told the Sun-Times culprits shot at him first,
He escaped unharmed while his nephew received the worst,
3 are in critical condition with 10 reported serious or fair,
So late at night what in the heck was a toddler doing there?
Looking back at Delbert (88) Belton and Christopher (22) Lane,
In a car, jogging alongside a road now playing a basketball game,
All innocent victims to say the least but notice it is not confined,
First offense or not, a conviction of CCW requires serious time.
A gun’s no more dangerous than a car when the vehicle’s parked,
An idiot behind the wheel is dangerous in daylight & in the dark,
Police officials declined to discuss details of the investigation so far,
One thing’s certain, it involves 2 deadly instruments, a gun & a car.
Shooting hoops at, “Back Of The Yards” before this incident begins,
Was there anyone in Chicago on the lookout for George Zimmerman?
The city’s, “Labor Day Weekend” 20 were injured while 8 fell dead,
NAACP is still crying foul about Sanford, Fla. I’m shaking my head.
Luke Easter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (3-year old among 13 shot in Sanford Fla., or Chicago? (9/19/13) by Luke Easter )
- The time is, gajanan mishra
- This Ain't Livin', Curtlan Popo
- Barriers Broken, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Much Love, Michael McParland
- Soothing Innermost Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Good Heart Needs No Book Smarts, Curtlan Popo
- Allowing Sweetened Romance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Wonder, shafeeqrahman rahman
- Disguised, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shuffling, ramesh rai
Poem of the Day
- The Rider, Naomi Shihab Nye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Naomi Shihab Nye
(12 March 1952)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)