I’ve been composing these poems for a while and posting them for all to see
But the other day while checking out Facebook something occurred to me.
Believe it or not to write these verses takes a little effort...a little time
As I search for the best subjects, the best words, and try to make them rhyme.
I enjoy the writing process...composing one poem every day.
And occasionally people will comment or say they like what I have to say.
It’s a good feeling when people read a poem and understand what I mean
I think the most likes I’ve had for any poem hovers around 16.
The other day Deborah, Bryan and I decided to take a jaunt
And enjoy a dinner with 3 martinis at a local restaurant.
I took a picture of the 3 martinis and posted them on the net
I wasn’t prepared for the number of likes those 3 martinis would get.
Five people liked those 3 martinis immediately after the post
Five more liked them before we had a chance to raise them up in toast.
From that point on notifications came so fast it seemed a bit surreal
I didn’t know that 3 martinis could have such broad appeal.
They passed 16 likes well before any part of our evening meal was through
I was getting likes from people I didn’t even know I knew!
I turned the sound on my phone down as the notifications started to spiral
After writing over 200 poems it was my 3 martinis that went viral!
Who would have thought that people would react less about what I think
And more about the number and flavors of the martinis that I drink?
Just as I was thinking this poetry writing thing is for the birds
I remembered how a picture can be worth a thousand words.
Sure I could write about world peace, about poverty or that Italian composer Puccini
But nothing I do will ever compare to my one picture of 3 martinis.
And I don’t mind, I understand that’s the way of the world after all
Poems are but a blending of words while martinis...that’s alcohol.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (3 Martinis by Jim Yerman )
- Repair a net, Trong Phan
- Jayanta Mahahpatra As An Image-maker, A .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- hindi haiku ghazal chaand, S.D. TIWARI
- Who Really Cares? Does Anything Matter?, Mr. Nobody
- Jashn manaao, Aftab Alam
- Poetry Is Where You Find It X, Frank Avon
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
- Wholesomeness To Thirst, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sleep At The Wheel, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)