Many a town’s tall trademark and high road
Named often is to commemorate him,
How many still take to his creed and code?
Talking high volts how many walk his dream?
Many a vociferous word in praise,
Yet, how many walk in tune with his goal?
Many a deed sung in as many ways,
How many still follow them heart and soul?
Many a march and many a long walk
We tread in his name in wasted labour,
We walk his ways still like sheep in a flock,
To be seen and snapped, for boastful blabber!
If his creed were truly alive in us,
Our values vile would be more virtuous.
The 2nd of October as every year came and went.
And we paid a lip service to the memories of the
Mahatma that was. Some also remembered the lovable
prime minister who shared the birth date with Gandhi.
And ceremonies over, we forgot them as soon. Next
year we will do the same thing, the same way.
-Sonnets | 01.10.07 |
Aniruddha Pathak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (2nd October by Aniruddha Pathak )
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
- Revolution, Revolution, Revolu -, Romella Kitchens
- हमें आपके लिए.. hame aapke liye, hasmukh amathalal
- Dusky Day in Dallas, michael walker
- Mom, Barbara Dixion
- I almost was left behind., Sonia Ode Lucci
- Fairyland, Alesia Leach
- Lack of money does not mean lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)