Thou child of Man, fall down
With contrite heart and low;
Inheritor by fleshly birth
Of exile, death, and woe.
Thou child of Man, rejoice!
The righteous One hath died:
Behold by faith thy seals of Love,
His hands, His feet, His side!
Thou child of Man, that Blood
Upon thy doors we trace:
The symbol of that mighty Cross
We stamp upon thy face.
Servant of God, go forth
Clad in thy Saviour's name;
Like Him thou must endure the Cross,
Like Him despise the shame.
Servant of God, hope on
Through tempests and through tears:
The pillar of His presence see,
Lighting the waste of years.
Servant of God, farewell!
The bed of death is made:
Go, with His glorious countenance
To cheer thee through the shade.
Servant of God, all hail!
The bright--haired army waits:
And greeting angels round thy path
Throng from the jasper gates.
``Servant of God, well done!''
The judgment is His own:--
Pass to the Inner Light, and sit
With Him upon His throne.
Henry Alford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (1846 by Henry Alford )
- Pride and Devotion, R B Seals
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- The Jackalope Man, Like a Goose to Florida, Bruce Larkin
- I'm Wally the Wacky Warlock, Bruce Larkin
Poem of the Day
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Enjoyable@@ Roma vs Bayern Munich live s.., Shohag Kaysar
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- miami dupli
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)