My birthday is December 31st perhaps that’s why I’ve always been a little unclear
Why we’re so quick to complete an end of the year review before the end of the year.
We’re shown the usual montage all edited into a beautiful and fitting vignette
The only problem I can see...the year isn’t quite over yet!
I saw a 2013 review Thursday: people, news, books, trends and shows.
It made me wonder how can the year be over when we still have 12 days to go?
With 12 days to go it seems premature to complete an end of the year review
I would prefer we wait till 2014 before we bid 2013 adieu.
In 12 days I could receive gold rings, drummers drumming, a partridge in a pear tree,
Yes, think of all the lovely gifts my true love could give to me.
In 12 days there may be peace in the world, a cure for cancer could even be found,
A new book may be published that could alter the cosmos or at the very least, inspire or astound.
In the next 12 days people will fall in love, babies will be born and people will die,
Songs will be created, marriages performed, and new inventions surely will fly,
But all these will be lost in the annals of history. From this news we would have been cheated
Since, in the minds of many,2013 has already been completed.
If something momentous occurs in the next 12 days is there any way we’ll even know it?
Since the review of the year is already over the networks might not even show it.
Our years fly by quickly enough as time is something we can never quite master
I can’t for the life of me figure out why we would want to make them go any faster!
Speaking for all the people born late, let’s wait till the new year has dawned
Before you tell everyone in the viewing audience that this year is already gone.
So as my birthday approaches at the end of this year here’s something you can all do for me.
Allow me to enjoy the last 12 days of the year as I did the other three hundred and fifty-three.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (12 Days by Jim Yerman )
- Kamikaze Heart, Kewayne Wadley
- 难道你真是一片云（ Don't you is really a cloud? ）, qin xing
- Assuring Voice, Somanathan Iyer
- Synchronization, SALINI NAIR
- Best World, Kolade Seun
- For you, rest in peace, Cigeng Zhang
- Moon Beams, Yohan Confectioner
- Falling Through, Claudia Scott
- City Of Angels, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Everything is Measured, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns