From Wigan to Australia I am bound
Emigrating to turn my life around
Twenty years a tradesman I have been
With spells of unemployment in between.
We’re off to start a brand new life
Me, my son and the wife
Cousin Bob is renting the house
For shortly he’s taking a spouse.
Our family’s giving us a send off do
Lots of friends will be there too
Day of departure excitement set in
I can’t control my Cheshire cat grin.
Soon we settled without fuss
Life was grand for all of us
We bought a house and built a pool
I thought it would keep us nice and cool.
Over here I’m a pommie over there an ex pat
It doesn’t really matter they all like a chat
We’ve had a good life my family and I
But there’s just one thing before I die.
Before I lay my head to rest
I want to return to the place I like best
This place my heart holds very dear
The place is known as Wigan Pier.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (£10 Pommie by Hazel Connelly )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- BEFORE YOU CAST THE STONE, kevinsky nyaga
- Remembering you Bother, NEDRA WILSON
- Noemia de Sousa (The Poem of Joao), African Poems
- Hard Times for Horses, Janet Armstrong
- Pappou Elias' Poem, Elia Michael
- Dispirited Humanity, Aftab Alam
- A nonentity's. Life, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Girl, We Both Suffer, Ronell Warren Alman
- But you are abandoning me, gajanan mishra
- I am going to meet an end, gajanan mishra