From Wigan to Australia I am bound
Emigrating to turn my life around
Twenty years a tradesman I have been
With spells of unemployment in between.
We’re off to start a brand new life
Me, my son and the wife
Cousin Bob is renting the house
For shortly he’s taking a spouse.
Our family’s giving us a send off do
Lots of friends will be there too
Day of departure excitement set in
I can’t control my Cheshire cat grin.
Soon we settled without fuss
Life was grand for all of us
We bought a house and built a pool
I thought it would keep us nice and cool.
Over here I’m a pommie over there an ex pat
It doesn’t really matter they all like a chat
We’ve had a good life my family and I
But there’s just one thing before I die.
Before I lay my head to rest
I want to return to the place I like best
This place my heart holds very dear
The place is known as Wigan Pier.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (£10 Pommie by Hazel Connelly )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Love has power, hasmukh amathalal
- Uneasy Rider, Diane Wakoski
- Perfect, Awkward Reality, Simon Quperlier
- The Photos, Diane Wakoski
- Thank You Dad, Damian Murphy
- Change Self Attitude and Find the World .., umaprosad das
- Lonely Is Me, Lilly Emery
- The Father of My Country, Diane Wakoski
- Life May Move, hasmukh amathalal
- Baby, You Are Poetry!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL