001 - Sea Stories
I'm sitting here all alone tonight
Trying to think of something to write.
Possibly a fantasy, maybe the truth
Or maybe a story that's quite uncouth.
If I can't write, I'll just read instead,
It will be a while before I go to bed.
I'll read about seaman and their ports of call
And remember the tales by Nordoff and Hall.
Who wrote about hurricanes on distant isles
And Tahitian beauties working their wiles.
Also 'Munity on the Bounty', my oh my
With Fletcher Christian and Captain Bligh.
Set adrift and sentenced to die.
Castaways and outcasts because of their crime
Sailed to Pitcairn Island, exiled for all time.
I liked Dana's 'Two Years Before The Mast'
There was a story that was bound to last.
Herman Melville, tooth and nail
Hunting 'Moby Dick', the great white whale.
And Joseph Conrad gave me the shivers
With yarns of sailing up African rivers.
Into 'The Heart Of Darkness' all the way
Reading those stories sure made my day.
Jack London's sea tales sure passed the test
With 'The Sea Wolf' and Capt. Larsen,
One of the meanest and best.
And Stevenson's 'Treasure Island' and buried gold
With Long John Silver and his pirates bold.
That surely was one of the best,
Singing 'Drink and the Devil had done for the rest.'
All of these books I'm going to read again
From the days of wooden ships and iron men.
George Hunter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (001 - Sea Stories by George Hunter )
- Coming Home, Randy McClave
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)