001 - Sea Stories
I'm sitting here all alone tonight
Trying to think of something to write.
Possibly a fantasy, maybe the truth
Or maybe a story that's quite uncouth.
If I can't write, I'll just read instead,
It will be a while before I go to bed.
I'll read about seaman and their ports of call
And remember the tales by Nordoff and Hall.
Who wrote about hurricanes on distant isles
And Tahitian beauties working their wiles.
Also 'Munity on the Bounty', my oh my
With Fletcher Christian and Captain Bligh.
Set adrift and sentenced to die.
Castaways and outcasts because of their crime
Sailed to Pitcairn Island, exiled for all time.
I liked Dana's 'Two Years Before The Mast'
There was a story that was bound to last.
Herman Melville, tooth and nail
Hunting 'Moby Dick', the great white whale.
And Joseph Conrad gave me the shivers
With yarns of sailing up African rivers.
Into 'The Heart Of Darkness' all the way
Reading those stories sure made my day.
Jack London's sea tales sure passed the test
With 'The Sea Wolf' and Capt. Larsen,
One of the meanest and best.
And Stevenson's 'Treasure Island' and buried gold
With Long John Silver and his pirates bold.
That surely was one of the best,
Singing 'Drink and the Devil had done for the rest.'
All of these books I'm going to read again
From the days of wooden ships and iron men.
George Hunter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (001 - Sea Stories by George Hunter )
- - Come With Me My Lovely Princess-, Ali Sabry
- - I See You All The Rays Of The Sun-, Ali Sabry
- - You Taught Me A Lot Of Love-, Ali Sabry
- - When I Look At The Moon I Remember You.., Ali Sabry
- - When I Walk Alone In The Night I See Y.., Ali Sabry
- - There Isn't Impossible In Dreams & Love-, Ali Sabry
- -You Can't Challenge Me My Wonderful Lady-, Ali Sabry
- - Very Long Time Ago Honey You Captured .., Ali Sabry
- - I'm Not Rich That's True My Lovely Bea.., Ali Sabry
- - Me & You We Will Enjoy In This World f.., Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Stefanie Fontker
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow