001 - Sea Stories
I'm sitting here all alone tonight
Trying to think of something to write.
Possibly a fantasy, maybe the truth
Or maybe a story that's quite uncouth.
If I can't write, I'll just read instead,
It will be a while before I go to bed.
I'll read about seaman and their ports of call
And remember the tales by Nordoff and Hall.
Who wrote about hurricanes on distant isles
And Tahitian beauties working their wiles.
Also 'Munity on the Bounty', my oh my
With Fletcher Christian and Captain Bligh.
Set adrift and sentenced to die.
Castaways and outcasts because of their crime
Sailed to Pitcairn Island, exiled for all time.
I liked Dana's 'Two Years Before The Mast'
There was a story that was bound to last.
Herman Melville, tooth and nail
Hunting 'Moby Dick', the great white whale.
And Joseph Conrad gave me the shivers
With yarns of sailing up African rivers.
Into 'The Heart Of Darkness' all the way
Reading those stories sure made my day.
Jack London's sea tales sure passed the test
With 'The Sea Wolf' and Capt. Larsen,
One of the meanest and best.
And Stevenson's 'Treasure Island' and buried gold
With Long John Silver and his pirates bold.
That surely was one of the best,
Singing 'Drink and the Devil had done for the rest.'
All of these books I'm going to read again
From the days of wooden ships and iron men.
George Hunter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (001 - Sea Stories by George Hunter )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- winter snow, Juwon Daniel
- Come Hold Me 3, Michael P. McParland
- Autumn, Andrea Vescovo
- I Love You Kira 6, Michael P. McParland
- sonnet 6: God of snow, Juwon Daniel
- Late Payment, Angela Wybrow
- Love versus Fear, Darian Kalamerd
- unforgettable summer nights, Juwon Daniel
- Wake up! ! !, ramesh rai
- Cinquante, Marilyn Jean