Osip Emilevich Mandelstam (1891 - 1938 / Warsaw)
Osip Mandelstam, also Osip Mandel'shtam, was born in Warsaw and grew up in St.Petersburg. His father was a successful leather-goods dealer and his mother a piano teacher. Mandelstam's parents were Jewish, but not very religious. At home Mandelstam was taught by tutors and governesses. He attended the prestigious Tenishev School (1900-07) and traveled then to Paris (1907-08) and Germany (1908-10), where he studied Old French literature at the University of Heidelberg (1909-10). In 1911-17 he studied philosophy at St. Petersburg University but did not graduate. Mandelstam was member of 'Poets Guild' from 1911 and hand close personal ties with Anna Akhmatova and Nikolai Gumilev. His first poems... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A flame is in my blood
- A phantom scene barely glimmers
- A young Levite among priests
- As Psyche-Life goes down to the shades
- Beneath a veil of milky white
- Brothers, let us glorify freedom’s twili...
- Every church sings its own soft part
- Go back to the tainted lap, Leah
- How hard for me, the splendor of this cr...
- I am cold. Transparent Spring dresses
- I am sorry it is winter now
- I can’t sleep
- I could not among the misty clouds
- I don’t remember the word I wished to sa...