Ntozake Shange Poems
- My Father Is A Retired Magicia... my father is a retired ...
- Enuf at 4:30 AM she rose movin the arms & legs that trapped...
- With No Immediate Cause every 3 minutes a woman is ...
- You Are Sucha Fool you are sucha fool/ i haveta love you ...
- Blood Rhythms - Blood Currents...
- People Of Watts where we come from, sometimes, beauty floats...
- 'Sorry' one thing i don't need is any more apologies i ...
an American playwright, and poet. As a self proclaimed black feminist, much of the content of her work addresses issues relating to race and feminism.
Shange is best-known for the Obie Award-winning play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf.
She also wrote Betsey Brown, a novel about an African American girl who runs away from home. Among her honors and awards are fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund, and a Pushcart Prize. Shange lives in Brooklyn.
Shange was born Paulette L. Williams in Trenton, New Jersey to an upper-middle-class family. Her father, Paul ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
My Father Is A Retired Magician
(for ifa, p.t., & bisa)
my father is a retired magician
which accounts for my irregular behavior
everythin comes outta magic hats
or bottles wit no bottoms & parakeets
are as easy to get as a couple a rabbits
or 3 fifty cent pieces/ 1958
my daddy retired from magic & took
up another trade cuz this friend of mine
from the 3rd grade asked to be made white
on the spot
what cd any self-respectin colored american magician
do wit such a outlandish request/ cept
put all them razzamatazz hocus pocus zippity-do-dah
thingamajigs away cuz