Narsinh Mehta (Gujarati:નરસિંહ મહેતા)also known as Narsi Mehta or Narsi Bhagat was a poet-saint of Gujarat, India, and a member of the Nagar Brahmins community, notable as a bhakta, an exponent of Vaishnava poetry. He is especially revered in Gujarati literature, where he is acclaimed as its Adi Kavi (Sanskrit for "first among poets"). His bhajan, Vaishnav Jan To is Mahatma Gandhi's favorite and has become synonymous to him.
Narsinh Mehta was born in the ancient town of Talaja and then shifted to Jirndurg now known as Junagadh in the District of Saurashtra, in Vaishnava Brahmin community. He lost his mother and his father when he was 5 years old. He ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Vaishnav Jan to
- Serve Me The Draught Of Love's Ambrosia
- Cherish red, love, for the beautiful sea...
- Awake O Jadava
- True Fulfillment Of My Birth
- She plays with the dark one
- Cover me with a blanket O Kanha,
- Always Up To Some Prank
- Gimme that moon to play with
- When I Wake Up, The World Recedes From M...
- 'Ananta' is the name of my infallible me...
- What Is It About Your Eyes, Love?
- As if it was rapture of rains of milk
- This Dark Night- My Enemy
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)