Narsinh Mehta Poems
- Vaishnav Jan To Speak only as godlike of the man who feels ...
- Has Your Heart Turned To Stone... Has your heart turned ...
- You May Have Obtained Nama You may have obtained nama, but ...
- Look, Who Is Roving In The Sky... Look, who is roving in the ...
- O Today It’s Diwali! O today it’s Diwali! O it’s the Festival...
- My Fruit-Like Breasts Are Your...
- In This Entire Universe, You A...
Narsinh Mehta (Gujarati:નરસિંહ મહેતા)also known as Narsi Mehta or Narsi Bhagat was a poet-saint of Gujarat, India, and a member of the Nagar Brahmins community, notable as a bhakta, an exponent of Vaishnava poetry. He is especially revered in Gujarati literature, where he is acclaimed as its Adi Kavi (Sanskrit for "first among poets"). His bhajan, Vaishnav Jan To is Mahatma Gandhi's favorite and has become synonymous to him.
Narsinh Mehta was born in the ancient town of Talaja and then shifted to Jirndurg now known as Junagadh in the District of Saurashtra, in Vaishnava Brahmin community. He lost his mother and his father when he was 5 years old. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Vaishnav Jan To
Speak only as godlike of the man who feels another's pain
Who shares another's sorrow and pride does disdain
Who regards himself lowliest of the low
Speaks not a word of evil against anyone
Blessed is the mother who gave birth to such a son
Who looks upon everyone as his equal,
Lust he has renounced
Who honors women like he honors his mother
Whose tongue knows not the taste of falsehood
Nor covets another's worldly goods
Who longs not for worldly wealth (or fame)
For he treads the path of renunciation
Ever on his lips is Ram's holy name ...