Narsinh Mehta (Gujarati:નરસિંહ મહેતા)also known as Narsi Mehta or Narsi Bhagat was a poet-saint of Gujarat, India, and a member of the Nagar Brahmins community, notable as a bhakta, an exponent of Vaishnava poetry. He is especially revered in Gujarati literature, where he is acclaimed as its Adi Kavi (Sanskrit for "first among poets"). His bhajan, Vaishnav Jan To is Mahatma Gandhi's favorite and has become synonymous to him.
Narsinh Mehta was born in the ancient town of Talaja and then shifted to Jirndurg now known as Junagadh in the District of Saurashtra, in Vaishnava Brahmin community. He lost his mother and his father when he was 5 years old. He ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Vaishnav Jan to
- Always Up To Some Prank
- Awake O Jadava
- 'Ananta' is the name of my infallible me...
- Dearer than life is the Vaishnava to me
- Cover me with a blanket O Kanha,
- As if it was rapture of rains of milk
- Dark clouds thunder and Madhava dances!
- You Alone Are The Beginning
- Enjoy this girl and celebrate the night!
- Be Still, Be Still, O Moon, Do Not Make ...
- Fair one, in the middle of the night
- I woke up all of a sudden from my sleep
- Lift your veil, mischievous girl
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)