Narsinh Mehta (Gujarati:નરસિંહ મહેતા)also known as Narsi Mehta or Narsi Bhagat was a poet-saint of Gujarat, India, and a member of the Nagar Brahmins community, notable as a bhakta, an exponent of Vaishnava poetry. He is especially revered in Gujarati literature, where he is acclaimed as its Adi Kavi (Sanskrit for "first among poets"). His bhajan, Vaishnav Jan To is Mahatma Gandhi's favorite and has become synonymous to him.
Narsinh Mehta was born in the ancient town of Talaja and then shifted to Jirndurg now known as Junagadh in the District of Saurashtra, in Vaishnava Brahmin community. He lost his mother and his father when he was 5 years old. He ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Vaishnav Jan to
- Awake O Jadava
- Always Up To Some Prank
- True Fulfillment Of My Birth
- Embrace me with such a passion
- Serve Me The Draught Of Love's Ambrosia
- What Is It About Your Eyes, Love?
- As if it was rapture of rains of milk
- Gimme that moon to play with
- Who has sent the old age?
- Be Still, Be Still, O Moon, Do Not Make ...
- The flute resonates today!
- 'Ananta' is the name of my infallible me...
- Dearer than life is the Vaishnava to me
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)