Narsinh Mehta [Adi Kavi] (1414? – 1481? / Talaja, Bhavnagar, Gujarat / India)
Narsinh Mehta (Gujarati:નરસિંહ મહેતા)also known as Narsi Mehta or Narsi Bhagat was a poet-saint of Gujarat, India, and a member of the Nagar Brahmins community, notable as a bhakta, an exponent of Vaishnava poetry. He is especially revered in Gujarati literature, where he is acclaimed as its Adi Kavi (Sanskrit for "first among poets"). His bhajan, Vaishnav Jan To is Mahatma Gandhi's favorite and has become synonymous to him.
Narsinh Mehta was born in the ancient town of Talaja and then shifted to Jirndurg now known as Junagadh in the District of Saurashtra, in Vaishnava Brahmin community. He lost his mother and his father when he was 5 years old. He ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Always Up To Some Prank
- 'Ananta' is the name of my infallible me...
- As if it was rapture of rains of milk
- At what auspicious hour did you stick to...
- Awake O Jadava
- Be Still, Be Still, O Moon, Do Not Make ...
- By the grace of the holy ones
- Cherish red, love, for the beautiful sea...
- Cold, cold is my bed in winter!
- Come friend! Let's go and behold...
- Cover me with a blanket O Kanha,
- Dark clouds thunder and Madhava dances!
- Dearer than life is the Vaishnava to me
- Don’t untie the threads of my choli