Meena Kandasamy Poems
- Evil Spirits You are possessed. Witch doctors believe in ...
- Mascara The last thing she does before she gets ready to ...
- Advaita: The Ultimate Question Non ...
- Amnesia, Selective When memory decides To no longer bear the...
- Becoming A Brahmin Algorithm for converting a Shudra into a ...
- Aggression Ours is a silence that waits. Endlessly ...
- Apologies For Living On I am living on because providing ...
Meena Kandasamy is an emerging poet, fiction writer, translator and activist. She is based in Chennai.
Her first book, Touch, was published in 2006. Two of her poems have won prizes in all-India poetry competitions. Her poetry has been published in various journals, including The Little Magazine, Kavya Bharati, Indian Horizons, Muse India and the Quarterly Literary Review, Singapore. She edited The Dalit, a bi-monthly alternative English magazine of the Dalit Media Network in its first year of publication from 2001 to 2002.
Kandasamy’s translations include the writings and speeches of Thol. Thirumavalavan, leader of Viduthalai Chiruthaigal or the Dalit Panthers of India... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
You are possessed.
Witch doctors believe in phantoms,
that cause your illness. But, driving out devils
can be challenging. Spirits are given away—
We are made to sit opposite you,
Force-fed a ‘meal'—bland food mixed
with your hair, nails, spit and pus.
Illegally (despite the government ban) ,
We take your hoard of evil spirits
Barter-system: for having ate your food.
And because ghosts and ghouls
obey your rules, they leave you to come to us.
Is this ‘transference'? An unofficial appeasement.
We become inhabited by the dead,
who ruins our ...