Lawrence Beck Poems
- Nonentity John's up. I see the light in his kitchen. He'll ...
- Left And Right I stand at the entrance to her kitchen. She's...
- Lump A realm so stark as one within a dream, A beach of ...
- Refuse I'd had my life for sixty years, and had No further ...
- Nocturne At 5: 00 am on Sunday, almost no one's up In Omaha....
- Saint Patrick's Day In West Om... The mind distills, and, as ...
- Perhaps I'm Mistaken I'm entertaining the thought that ...
My advice to anyone reading one of my poems: read it so quickly as you can the first time through. Since I write in a rush, my melody will become most evident if you read in a rush.
I have a web site, www.lawrencebeck.net, which contains more of my recent poems than the 50 I leave up here. I refresh this site every other month.
Alas, I must add this: if you write to me ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
John's up. I see the light in his kitchen.
He'll put on his suit, and drive to his office
To balance the books of some part of his
Firm. He'll be drinking coffee and going
To meetings, talking to people about TV
Shows and the basketball tournament,
Children in sports. He'll come back this
Evening, weary, not tired. He'll probably
Wave while he's using his grill, and he'll
Go to bed knowing that he's an accountant.
That's what he does. That's who he is,
He takes comfort from knowing these things.
I have the day off. I'll spend it at home, ...