Lawrence Beck Poems
- Happy Memorial Day! -new- We know, we all do, only vaguely, that ...
- Void It's barely there, amid the noise of traffic, People ...
- Mermaid I dream that I am saving her, the aging Lifeguard ...
- On The 12: 30 From Denver To O... He beams. He seems a ...
- A Perfectly Ridiculous Poem When all else fails...that's ...
- Your Gift Your man, as you well know, is short Of patience, ...
- When The Storm Arrives It's time to turn, to cover up. The ...
My advice to anyone reading one of my poems: read it so quickly as you can the first time through. Since I write in a rush, my melody will become most evident if you read in a rush.
I have a web site, www.lawrencebeck.net, which contains more of my recent poems than the 50 I leave up here. I refresh this site every other month.
Alas, I must add this: if you write to me ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Happy Memorial Day!
We know, we all do, only vaguely, that our world's
Going wrong. We think we know what once was
Right: a land of yeomen, hardly saints, who
Turned the lathes and worked the land, and
Wouldn't stand for shit from rich men. We
Went out and saved the world. That was what
We meant to do, but triumph changes
Expectations. We're not yeomen anymore.
We're two-bit satraps. Anyway, we left the land
And sold the lathes, and didn't realize until
It was too late that we are useless. We take
Shit from rich men now. We fight their
Wars and beg for loans to get by ...