Izaak Walton (1593-1683 / England)
Izaak Walton (9 August 1593 – 15 December 1683) was an English writer. Best known as the author of The Compleat Angler, he also wrote a number of short biographies which have been collected under the title of Walton's Lives.
Walton was born at Stafford; the register of his baptism gives his father's name as Gervase. His father, who was an innkeeper as well as a landlord of a tavern, ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- An Elegie Upon Dr. Donne
- Commendatory Verse Prefixed To The Merch...
- Commendatory Verse To The Author Of Scin...
- Lines On A Portrait Of Donne In His Eigh...
- On The Death Of William Cartwright
- To My Reverend Friend The Author Of The ...
Quotationsmore quotations »
We may say of angling, as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries, "Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless God never did;" and so, if I might be judge, God never did make a more calm, qu...Izaak Walton (1593-1683), British author, biographer. The Compleat Angler, ch. 5 (1653).