Hugo Williams Poems
- Toilet I wonder will I speak to the girl sitting opposite me...
- Siren Song I phone from time to time, to see if ...
- Her News You paused for a moment and I heard you smoking on ...
- Tides The evening advances, then withdraws again Leaving our...
- Rhetorical Questions How do you think I feel when you make ...
- Saturday Morning Everyone who made love the night before ...
- Billy's Rain When I'm lying awake, listening to ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Hugo Williams
I wonder will I speak to the girl
sitting opposite me on this train.
I wonder will my mouth open and say,
'Are you going all the way
to Newcastle?' or 'Can I get you a coffee?'
Or will it simply go 'aaaaah'
as if it had a mind of its own?
Half closing eggshell blue eyes,
she runs her hand through her hair
so that it clings to the carriage cloth,
then slowly frees itself.
She finds a brush and her long fair hair
flies back and forth like an African fly-whisk,
making me feel dizzy.
Suddenly, without warning,
she packs it all away in a rubber ...