Henry Van Dyke
Henry Van Dyke Poems
- A Prayer For A Mother's Birthd... Lord Jesus, Thou hast ...
- Time Is Time is Too Slow for those who Wait, Too Swift for...
- A Home Song I read within a poet's book A word that starred...
- A Mile With Me O who will walk a mile with me Along life's ...
- America For Me 'Tis fine to see the Old World and travel up ...
- Departure Oh, why are you shining so bright, big Sun, And ...
- Doors Of Daring The mountains that enfold the vale With ...
Henry Jackson van Dyke was an American author, educator, and clergyman.
Henry van Dyke was born on November 11 , 1852 in Germantown, Pennsylvania in the United States. He graduated from Princeton University in 1873 and from Princeton Theological Seminary, 1877 and served as a professor of English literature at Princeton between 1899 and 1923. In 1908-09 Dr. van Dyke was an American lecturer at the University of Paris. By appointment of President Wilson he became Minister to the Netherlands and Luxembourg in 1913. He was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters and received many other honors. Van Dyke was an "ardent foe of the annexation of the... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
A Prayer For A Mother's Birthday
Lord Jesus, Thou hast known
A mother's love and tender care:
And Thou wilt hear, while for my own
Mother most dear I make this birthday prayer.
Protect her life, I pray,
Who gave the gift of life to me;
And may she know, from day to day,
The deepening glow of Life that comes from Thee.
As once upon her breast
Fearless and well content I lay,
So let her heart, on Thee at rest,
Feel fears depart and troubles fade away.
Her every wish fulfill;
And even if Thou must refuse
In anything, let Thy wise will
A comfort bring such as kind mothers...