Biography of Gert Strydom
Gert Strydom was born in 1964 in Johannesburg, South Africa. He matriculated at Estcourt High School after which he obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration degree (B.B.A.) at Andrews University (Berrien Springs, Michigan, U.S.A.) and apart from being a poet and writer he is an accountant by profession.
He was called up for compulsory national service in the South African defence force (SADF) for a period of two years during the time of the South African border / bush war and while following his profession was called up for several compulsory camps for several months as a member of the South African Citizen’s force and did partake in the National Colours Parade and in exercise Excalibur.
His predilection for poetry was stimulated by his late father who read Afrikaans poetry aloud at times, as part of his postgraduate studies at the University of South Africa. While living in Pretoria he attended the poetry writing school at the House of Afrikaans Poetry under mentorship of Prof. Ian Raper, where the other poets especially Ian Raper, Rosa Smit, Mandi Engelbrecht, André (Francois) Viljoen, Luchie Möller, Karlien van der Merwe and Jan Lourens had a great influence on the sharpening of his abilities.
Some of his Afrikaans poetry is displayed on the Woes web page at:
Some of his English poetry is displayed at:
© Copyright: Gert Strydom for all poems displayed on these web pages (Under South African law copyright exists for forty years from the date of publication.)
How long have I longed
that you loose your way in my verses
find something meaningful in them
that you along with me
cry and laugh at life
while for moments you are in my thoughts.
As a poet
As a poet I wanted to make wonderful verses that astound everyone,
wanted to write words that touch hearts and did not want to disguise anything
and I wanted to write verses that stand forever like monuments
but then I did realise that everything comes out of Your hand.
© Gert Strydom
- If I cannot find you -new-
- I had dreamt of you -new-
- With you (Rubliw) -new-
- We are like two flowers (Rubliw) -new-
- How sadly I have been absent in this spr... -new-
- I miss you very much (Rubliw) -new-
- I do love you each day (Rubliw) -new-
- How strong do I love thee? (Rubliw) -new-
- Much more  (Rubliw) -new-
- My Lord the day is breaking (Rubliw) -new-
- Sometimes I do pray (Rubliw) -new-
- I miss your pretty face (Rubliw) -new-
- A touch (Rubliw) -new-
- To have the power to hurt -new-
- Invictus (a reply to William Ernest Henl...
- Space Haiku’s
- But then I met you
- Angel of the morning light
- I Love You (Villanelle)
- Haiku’s of love
- “Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone ...
- Haiku’s at the end of a relationship
- Nightmares (English sonnet)
- Flickering the flame of a candle burns
- a Resting place
- So its been twenty years
- It was the way you were (Terzanelle)
Do not look
for fairness in this life,
for you will not find it
as the reason to be living
and will seek it forever.
Do not live life
just as a passer by,
or you will not mind it