Franz Wright Poems
- Alcohol You do look a little ill. But we can do something ...
- Postcard 2 Incomprehensible fate that sentenced my father to ...
- The Face Is there a single thing in nature that can approach...
- Circle Say I had no choice, this weightless finger touched my...
- To Myself You are riding the bus again burrowing into the ...
- Blade If I stare into it long enough, the point comes when I ...
- Our Conversation Pure gaze, you are lightning beyond the last...
Franz Wright is an American poet.
Wright graduated from Oberlin College in 1977. He and his father James Wright are the only parent/child pair to have won the Pulitzer Prize in the same category.
Wheeling Motel (Knopf, 2009), had selections put to music for the record "Readings from Wheeling Motel". Wright stepped down as the Jacob Ziskind Visiting Poet-in-Residence at Brandeis University in May 2009. Wright wrote the lyrics to and performs on the Clem Snide song "Encounter at 3AM" on the album Hungry Bird (released in February 2009). His most recent book, is Kindertotenwald (Knopf 2011), a collection of sixty-five prose poems ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
You do look a little ill.
But we can do something about that, now.
The fact is you’re a shocking wreck.
Do you hear me.
You aren’t all alone.
And you could use some help today, packing in the
dark, boarding buses north, putting the seat back and
grinning with terror flowing over your legs through
your fingers and hair . . .
I was always waiting, always here.
Know anyone else who can say that.
My advice to you is think of her for what she is:
one more name cut in the scar of your ...