France Prešeren was a Slovene Romantic poet. He is considered the Slovene national poet. Although he was not a particularly prolific author, he inspired virtually all Slovene literature thereafter.
He was born 3 December 1800 (Saturday) in the Upper Carniolan village of Vrba, then part of the Habsburg Monarchy (today in Slovenia), to a relatively well-to-do peasant family. Already as a child, he showed considerable talent, so his parents decided to provide him with a good education.
At the age of eight, he was sent to elementary schools in Grosuplje and Ribnica, run by the local Roman Catholic clergy. In 1812, he moved to the Carniolan ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Farewell To My Youth
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (7/14)
- O'er Thee, Misfortune, I Have Ceased To ...
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (6/14)
- Mid Wastes Of Africa A Wanderer Sped
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (4/14)
- A Toast
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (1/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (13/14)
- O, Vrba, Happy Village, My Old Hme
- The Master Theme
- The Baptism
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (14/14)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)