France Preseren (3 December 1800 – 8 February 1849 / Vrba)
France Prešeren was a Slovene Romantic poet. He is considered the Slovene national poet. Although he was not a particularly prolific author, he inspired virtually all Slovene literature thereafter.
He was born 3 December 1800 (Saturday) in the Upper Carniolan village of Vrba, then part of the Habsburg Monarchy (today in Slovenia), to a relatively well-to-do peasant family. Already as a child, he showed considerable talent, so his parents decided to provide him with a good education.
At the age of eight, he was sent to elementary schools in Grosuplje and Ribnica, run by the local Roman Catholic clergy. In 1812, he moved to the Carniolan ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Farewell To My Youth
- A Toast
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (1/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (10/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (11/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (12/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (13/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (14/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (2/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (3/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (4/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (5/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (6/14)
- A Wreath Of Sonnets (7/14)
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
celebrated on May 21st every year
Your Favorite Poets’ Favorite Books of Poetry
Daily Rituals of Famous Authors
Writers seem to be the most prone to unshakeable routines and elaborate superstitions.
Incredible Reading Rooms Around the World
Cozy, beautiful places to curl up with a good book...