Learn More

Other Forms of Creative Writing

Post a message
  • Rookie - 14 Points Alex Medina (9/20/2012 6:11:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Short story. Notice I did not use the following set of terms: " is, are, am, was, were, be been, have, has, had, could, should, and would."
    This was a writing exercise that I highly recommend. I'd say the hardest part was thinking of something to write about. Anyways, give it a try. You'll be amazed.

Acme of the Night

Silver silk blanketed the black mist of the forest. The sky’s freckles dotted the night’s ceiling. The gentle breeze’s breath sighed against the branches of towering trees, cool air sweeping through the land.

I walked northeast, using the specks of light above my head to guide me on my path. The celestial lights greatly improved my ability to see. Soon I reached a barren meadow with small patches and clumps of grass scattered across the glade.

Immediately I heard sounds of festive merriment. I looked toward the glade’s center, at the orange, warm glow emanating through the night. I reached the rim of a crater about ten meters in diameter and several meters deep, its center providing a large, wispy fire. Encompassing the roaring flame, young men and women laughed, danced, sang and ate in the earthen bowl, unaware of my presence.

Nevertheless, I smiled, content to see my friends after years of no contact. I finally arrived at the reunion we all planned a decade and a half ago. Late, I drew in a calm breath before they noticed me. At once, a chorus of gay greetings resounded in my heart. I joined the feast, appreciating the warmth of the fire and the food in my belly. We all shared a laugh and recounted events of our passed travels.

“The acme of the night, ” I said, smiling while proposing a toast. “ To good food, good song, and good friends.”

• Rookie - 14 Points Alex Medina (9/8/2012 10:47:00 AM) Post reply

An excerpt from the novel I'm writing: " The Dawn of Death"
    I accidentally deleted it so I took the opportunity to improve it a bit.
    Hope you enjoy.

Shady Dealings

Enorith walked down a dark alleyway. Heavy drops of rain pounded against his hooded head. A mask concealed all but Enorith’s dark, cold eyes. A black cloak kept him warm from the chilly autumn air and his leather boots splashed into puddles along the cobblestone.

Enorith’s mind raced. He did not trust his client. This deal was very secretive. His client was very strict as to when and where they should meet. His client was wary, and he too wished to conceal his identity. However, Enorith was no fool. He had sources everywhere. His client’s name was Bonrun Hoaling. This powerful man was head of the Reklah, the police force of the Sentian Nation. His age was thirty-seven and he had brown hair and green eyes. He had a wife and two children. He lived in this city, Falsum, and he wished to meet Enorith in person.

As Enorith reached the far end of the alley, a stocky man emerged from the shadows. Enorith cocked his head in response, curious to know why he was summoned here tonight. A deep voice rumbled from behind the man’s concealed face.

“Are you...?”

Enorith held up his left hand, removing his glove in the process. Bonrun smiled from beneath the cloth covering his face as he observed the obsidian encrusted ring on Enorith’s pale index finger. Bonrun led Enorith through a door to the right.

“Come inside.”

Enorith said nothing and stepped into a dimly lit setting. The interior was small, the main hall branched off to the right and left, leading to two separate rooms. Enorith waited for his client to finish locking the door, his pale hand twitching to reach for his dagger. When making a deal, it was crucial to know your client. Since this man was head of the Reklah, he might have motives to kill Enorith. Locking the door didn’t help gain Enorith’s trust.

Bonrun led him to the room on the left, where a single candle on a small table lit the small room. He and Enorith sat in the two chairs placed by the wooden table. Enorith glanced around, noticing the chaotic mess of books and parchments lying on several bookshelves and a desk.

“I have wanted to meet you for a long time, ” Bonrun stated.

Bonrun received a cold stare as a response. Nevertheless, he continued.

“What I am about to tell you is strictly confidential. You will not tell a single soul.”

Enorith chuckled, forcing a frown on Bonrun’s face. The authority in his client’s voice was so evident. Already, despite wanting his identity secret, his client revealed much.

“What’s so funny, may I ask?”

A low, smooth voice answered. It was calm and lethal. “Your tone of voice is authoritative. This suggests you are accustomed to giving orders or leading people.”

This made Bonrun falter slightly. He spoke again, making no effort to change his tone. There was no point. “That is irrelevant.”

“I beg to differ, ” Enorith challenged. “Carry on.”

Enorith couldn’t help but smile. He had just made it clear who holds the power in the room. He could feel Bonrun’s confidence wither as he continued.

“Several others and I have devised a coup.”

This sparked Enorith’s interest. A high-ranking officer planning a coup?This conspiracy had to be promising. He leaned in, having brought his full attention to Bonrun’s words.

“We plan to kill the king, queen and their heirs, ” Bonrun said quietly. “It is time for this nation to have proper rulers, not some tyrants swimming in their own wealth.”

“I see, ” Enorith said. “You need my help for this grand reformation.”

“Yes, your skills are unparalleled.”

“You realize you’re making an illegal Black Connection for contacting me?”

Bonrun scoffed. “A coup to take the throne is far worse than contacting you.”

“And you plan to take the king’s seat?”

Bonrun nodded. “I have been elected to rule should our plan succeed.”

“State my benefit in all this.”

“All of your charges will be cleared and you will be paid a handsome price, ” Bonrun said with confidence. “Do we have a deal?”

“Name the price.”

“50,000 gold pieces for each kill.”

Enorith thought about it for a few moments. The Royal Family would earn him a sum of 250,000 gold pieces, decimating the record of “high price” kills he’s made. “Yes, I believe we do.”

They shook hands on it, not that it mattered to Enorith. He could break a deal as easily as he could kill this man. Then again, how could Enorith be sure Bonrun would keep his end of the bargain?If he did not, Bonrun’s death would be imminent.

Bonrun stood from his seat and looked through the piles of documents scattered across the desk. After a few minutes of searching, Bonrun found and handed Enorith the details of the assassinations.

“These will tell you everything you need to know, ” Bonrun said. “Target descriptions, target behaviors and habits, the date and locations of the killings, etcetera.”

Enorith looked them over in quick glances. As he analyzed the papers, Bonrun sat back in his chair. After a few minutes of silence, Enorith looked at Bonrun.

“How did you come by such valuable information?”

Bonrun cleared his throat. It was his turn to gain the upper hand. “You aren’t the only one with resources.”

“Well, of course, ” Enorith said coolly. Bonrun cleared all of Enorith’s dubious thoughts about his identity. This really was the commander of the Reklah.

“Now, ” Bonrun said. “I have a question for you.”

Silence.

“How are you so skilled?”

“Would you care to elaborate further?”

“After all your assassinations, not one Reklah was able to apprehend or kill you, ” Bonrun said. “Even the finest officers known throughout the nation were killed by your hand. They could not stop you.”

Enorith hesitated, thinking about the futility of the Commander’s question. “Do you really believe that I would tell you?”

“I suppose not.”

Enorith chuckled again. It’s only natural for the Commander to sympathize over his fallen subordinates. Enorith stood to leave, taking the documents with him. “I will follow the written instructions and discuss with you further plans in the future.”

“Very well, ” Bonrun said. “Until then.”

He led Enorith to the door. The assassin stepped outside in the pouring rain, chuckling. Once again, Bonrun frowned. Enorith began striding away silently before stopping to face the officer.

“As for your question, ” Enorith said slyly, “There is a reason why they call me the Dawn of Death.”

That concluded tonight’s meeting, Bonrun watching the greatest assassin in history fade into the shadow of the night.

• Rookie Delvina Kalaja (9/7/2012 9:28:00 AM) Post reply

Another one from me.

Labyrinth

Wishing you were dead is like wishing for a dream, but when you're close to death, when you actually see it, huh it becomes a mutherfuckin nightmare.

Life is not easy, everybody knows that, some people live just the bad days waiting for the good ones, suddenly they found their selves in a deep sleep or better yet they don't find their self anymore.It's exhausting.

Being a good person means respect, and being yourself too.
    What if I'm crazy?
    What if I'm bad and that's me?Will there be respect anymore?
    There's where I lose my point.
    I sit in this big table surrounded by a lot of people, most strangers, different faces, different lifes.Their talk is making me nervous, their voice sound is killing my ears it's like they speak words with no sense.
    Trying to fit in this moment, with a fake smile on my face, in front of me I saw standing a little creature..Looking me deep in the eye he said: Are you happy?
    I couldn't understand, is it even possible to see inside a human body, while just looking in the eye you can see the feeling hiding inside.
    Standing in front of him speechless I knew I would lie, so I said I am.
    Everynight we go to sleep and we don't know sure if we're gonna wake up in the morning, but still we set the alarm.In that poor desert waiting for that little dropp of rain people still live.It's something we call hope and I think that forced me to reply that little boy that way, cuz even if youre heart is broken, even if it is falling to pieces, even if you think your world is falling down, just when you think of wishing that wish i told you in the firs line just stop and breathe.There's someone watching over, if people can't make you smile for real, he will.
    Sometimes I lose the sence of time, I feel like I don't belong here, like a stranger.I wish I would live in a differnet time when there will be memory cleaning machines.
    If you're asking why try to remember why the most time we are sad.We lose people, moments, joys in time and all we have are memories.One day you'll be sitting in your room, looking the photos, browsing the memories and you'll be sad cuz they're gone.So I would rather clean it all.
    But, when I think what are we living for if we don't remember what we've done, so what are we doing?
    If there were no words, it would be a white paper which means nothing.If it's nothing it can not be called a life.And here I am, in this life labyrinth losing my sense, again.

As you see there are different ways to judge life, different eyes you can look through, different things you should hold on to.
    That's why we pray when we're sick to get healthy, that's why we cry when someone leaves, why we laugh when we see the sunset.That's why we live our life through everything.That's why we ask when we alredy know the answer.

• Rookie Delvina Kalaja (9/6/2012 9:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I love writing, this is one of my favourite, i wrote it a few days ago..

Our short story

There's a time in life you wish you could just push the stop button and hold that moment for life. There is this huge power feeling that fills your body, it flows in your veins and makes you feel alive.
    It's always the same, always the same story just differnet persons.Two people fall in love in the first or second sight, get to know each other in time and pray that one day they will be not the one missing the other.
    My story's differenet I guess.These two people knew each other at the first blink, started missing each other after the first met, and than they fell in love forever.
    She was a hard person, never believed in something like butterfly feeling, never understanding that word, never able to accept it, always that comfortable distance with people.
    I guess it made her feel safe and just right.But in her road of emptiness she found a way to let a light shine on her and did what she never thought she would.Felt in Love.
    He was her way of freedom, the key of her happiness and gave her everything, literally.It was fate.
    What's life without love?
    What's love without you?To me there's a simple word that replies to these questions... emptiness.
    Others say that the biggest fear is losing your self in someone, I think that's wrong.Losing someone that means everything to you is like losing your self, that's the biggest fear.So, I wish I'll never lose you.

I thought I will never have a reason to wake up in the morning and feel anger and joy at once.And than you happened.I had a reason to be thankful to god that blessed me with a person like you and be angry why next to me is a empty place where you should be.But yeahh all we need is patience.
    I don't know if it is a disease but I don't wanna wake up in the morning and not feel its pain.Maybe I'm lost, but it's my fairytale.Maybe I cry but they're tears fo joy.In the end I smile cuz I see your face.
    I guess these are the symptoms of Love!

Delvina Kalaja

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Amber Glistener (9/6/2012 9:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Very nice. I like your comparisons and expressions. I enjoyed reading this because it is obviously full of great thought, emotions and personality. Well done.

• Rookie Amber Glistener (9/5/2012 7:38:00 PM) Post reply

This is another excerpt of yet another book, (this excerpt is from chapter seven so dont be confused if you dont know the characters) and well, I enjoyed writing this piece because it demonstrated the strength of the main character's mind and his determination to get things done. Please enjoy. (Note that the characters in this excerpt are children, not adults)

Lynl called out in front of everybody, “Hey twerp! Are you ready to get your limbs pulled off and have them fed to you?” His companions guffawed at the idea, Ryld bending forward and hugging his stomach.
    Kadien shrugged the blow off, trying to ignore it, and on the outside it seemed that he hadn’t been effected that greatly over it, but on the inside he was seething with anger. I wouldn’t be so sure that I will be the one eating my own limbs today, Lynl. He thought to himself.
    Caleb and Kade had taken a place near the door and when the Commanding Officer strode through the door, followed by the secretary, Caleb nearly hit the ceiling. “Class, we have a demonstration today.” The older children whooped and cheered, ready for the bloodshed to begin. It was during this time of chaos that Kade noticed that the secretary was carrying some sort of green and orange case in the crook of her arm. He recognized it as the first aid kit from the desk in the lobby, but he wasn’t surprised at the sight of it.
    “Lynl Shar of Major Jr. rank, please step onto the mat.” Lynl, the tall, swarthy and over-joyed character, stepped giddily forward punching a fist into his hand.
    “Kadien Giles of Minor Jr. rank, please proceed onto the opposite side of the mat.” Kade uncrossed his arms and walked toward Lynl. Behind his competitor he could see Ypt, Ryld and a few others making slicing motions across their necks and mouthing the words, You are going down, to him. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Jobe staring at him with those hazel eyes of his.
    “Do you both know why you are here?” The Commanding officer asked the both of them with the prompting of the secretary, although really, like all the others in the room, all he wanted was a fight.
    Lynl looked about ready to do a jig, he was so happy and gleefully said, “Because Little Sissy Boy here can’t control his temper or mind his superiors.” With that more snorting came from behind him. Then the Commanding Officer smiled and looked at Kadien, gesturing for him to speak.
    Clenching his fists, staring at the ground and through clenched teeth Kade replied, “We are here because Mr. Too-Big-For-His-Brain can’t control his attitude.” He was bombarded glares from around the room and the single note of “ooohh” was passed around.
    “Good, so now you two can settle this yourselves. When I count to five you may begin. There will be no rules other than you may not kill or seriously injure your partner and leave each other’s parents out of it. Also, there will be no weapons or use of other people.” The Commander cackled and dropped his fist into his hand, the national Namicean sign that meant start.
    Lynl, angry at the comment that Kadien had made about him not moments before, didn’t take time to clear his head and charged the younger boy in a large bear hug. Kade, being about two years younger and small for his age, was not near as strong as Lynl, but he knew how to get out of a grip such as this. He spat in Lynl’s eye causing him to lurch back in disgust which gave Kade just enough time to knee him in the gut. The older boy doubled over in pain, but in the motion of bending down he snatched Kade’s shoulders and drove his foot into his shin.
    Kade cried out as he found the floor rushing up to him and a sharp pain in his shoulder blade came from Lynl’s heel stomping into it. Before Lynl could do it again, however, Kade rolled over onto his back and jumped up dodging what could have been a hammer to the head.
    Then Kade thought of something he had learned in weapon’s mastery class. How the reach of a swordsmen, an axe-men, a mace-men, and so forth was far from their body, and that if you could get in between their body and their weapon they would be more vulnerable. So, even though Lynl had no weapon, he compared his blows to the weapon of choice and got inside the hole. Lynl was so surprised that he gave Kade a couple seconds to jab all of his strength into his chest, pushing him backward and knocking him off balance initially on the mat.
    His eyes widened, but he got up quicker than lightning and was coming back at Kade so abruptly that he didn’t have time to think. There he was, in Kade’s face and hammering down on his shoulder. Kade cried out again, but spun around and tried to kick Lynl in the hip. Of course, it was the obvious move to Lynl and he caught the foot and spun it, sending Kade flying into a wall where two Minor Jr. girls had to jump out of the way to keep from being hit.
    During the flight, Kade had closed his eyes. When he opened them, he found his arm was in the wall and Lynl was leaning back, laughing at him with every other indecent person in the room. Once again, Kade got up to his feet, despite the laughter and the gasps of disbelieve that he would have the bravery to do so, wiped the corner of his bleeding mouth with his stinging wrist (the one that had once been in the wall) and advanced back toward Lynl. It seemed like hours, (even though really it was only one) that they continued to fight. Though really, it wasn’t too much of a fight after Kade’s flight. Mainly, it was just Kade getting up and coming back at Lynl after he send him across the room or in some painful position.
    The room was dumbstruck, except for the Commanding Officer who seemed to enjoy Kadien’s beating all too much. Nobody believed that somebody as young as Kadien and with the least amount of fighting experience in the room, could just get up and keep going as much as he did. Yet Kade took blow after blow, the whole time thinking about everybody he ever hated, and what they had done to him and Caleb. He thought about the soldiers on his first day, in their rooms gearing up with malicious looks plastered to their faces. He even thought about the king and how cruel he had been to him and his father. Most of all, he thought about how his father would react if he were to see him now. Anger and pride blinded him, so he could hardly land a punch, but when he did, he could see in Lynl’s expression that it hurt.
    The fight was broken up by the bell. Nobody except the brawlers had hardly moved in the room since the beginning of class, and they all had to rush to their next class (all being late for the fought drug them long into practice and gathering periods.) Kade rushed into Weapon’s Mastery with a limp, a swollen lip, a black eye, a messed up shoulder and bruises beyond belief. People who had been in the class before with him pointed at him and whispered about him to the others who hadn’t seen the brawl and some even looked scared of him. Although there was one thing Kade knew, and that was he hurt, he was sure that he had lost the fight. That wouldn’t happen again.

• Rookie Amber Glistener (8/18/2012 10:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is an excerpt from a might-be-book that I am writing. No promises yet, but I'm working on it.
    Villains and Rescuers Excerpt #1

“You horrible woman! ” Vincent screamed at Tracy as she walked away. “I will put a bomb on your car! ”
    Tracy turned around and then said to him, without a hint of worry or any other expression in her face, “Then I won’t drive my car.” After saying this, she turned back around and kept walking down the sidewalk.
    He wasn’t done threatening her yet though. No, this was just the beginning. “I will put a bomb under your bed! ” He hissed in her ear, following her along the sidewalk.
    With the same blank expression she replied, “Then I shall not sleep in my bed.”
    “I will put a bomb on all of the doors in your house! ” He said with an evil chuckle, trying to figure out how she would get herself out of this one.
    “Then I will not enter my house.” And on she walked, not missing a pace.
    “Your family and friends might! How about your boyfriend or your sister! Hmmm?What about them?They have cars too and beds and houses, and I know exactly where they are! ” The threats kept threading onto his string of hatred and into her ear, but she was done with him.
    Tracy whipped around and shook her fist at him. “Forget what I said about not driving my car, or sleeping in my bed, or entering my home, for I think I will. You are welcome to put a bomb wherever you like, but I don’t think any of them will trigger. I believe that the Lord has other plans for me. So if you would kindly stop this threatening business to yourself. Do what you will and I will do what I will. I will most certainly not bring my life to a halt because of some uncertain death threats! ”
    With that Tracy whipped back around and sped to the corner of the street that she had to cross. She mashed the button with her right thumb and saw that she had a cut on her arm. It was bleeding, but not badly. She shrugged and watched the light across the street, readily aimed for the opposite side.
    “How about bullets; or knives; or maybe poison?I think any of those would do the trick quite nicely. Your boyfriend, he usually drinks coffee in the mornings from that large blue cup doesn’t he?Yes, I think my plan is figured out most nicely.” He said, viciously as the light turned green. This time, as she moved, he didn’t follow her but raised his voice more and more as she grew farther away from him.
    Tracy knew what to do though, and mouthed the words, do what you will, to him then didn’t look back to see his reaction. Not that she would have liked it, for on his face, was plastered a giant, horrible smirk so evil that the devil himself might not have been about to procure anything more terrible.

• Rookie Alex Medina (8/25/2012 9:02:00 PM) Post reply

This was quite interesting. Reminded me of childrens' books, the simplicity: " I'll do this." " Then I won't do that." I enjoyed reading that sort of concept in a more sophistica ... more

• Rookie Amber Glistener (8/14/2012 11:04:00 PM) Post reply

I know this peice may not be as good as some of my others, but I still enjoy reading it to myself sometimes. I also wrote this one is school.
    " The Three Nimble Figures"
    If you live in the place where the ocean crashes against the large, sharp rocks that lead into the forest you have heard of the Legend of the three nimble figures. Sadly not many storytellers live in this place. So if you don’t live there you don’t know. Since I have a source who told me the story you’ll hear it straight from this pen. Shadows engulf the forest and ocean at night, reflecting on the rock and salty water. If you’re out a’walkin around by the shore you may come across a queer sight to see. Three figures standing on top of the highest rock that there is. They’re all clothed in white, their faces covered where only their eyes can be seen. And mysterious they are, a sparkling shade of green, brown and grey. No words are said and hardly a sound comes, caused by them. The only one that knows, where they go when they leave that rock, is he. The one who told me for one night he followed them into the thick, scraggly woods. These figures do not travel like normal beings on the ground walking or running. Instead they use vines and branches, leaping and swinging like apes. My informant wouldn’t say how he managed to follow them for he isn’t near as nimble. Anyway he went, he got there somehow to discover the entered a tiny, crooked old snack. A dingy old lamp lit the one room shack dimly. He sat by the window and watched them unbind their heads. A black haired young man, a brown haired lady and a dark haired man. They stood around the lamp and spoke in hearty voices. Names were mentioned of friends. Places they had been and things they had done. Obviously they had been old friends with stories to tell. The lady stepped closer to the light, that’s when the onlooker realized her hair was golden. A silver trinket swung around her neck. She pulled it off and twirled it around her finger. The chain necklace clinked around. After my informant got comfortable, his chin rested on the splintered window sill it got quiet. Out of nowhere the light went out and something large was flung at his head. The breath was knocked out of him as he hit the ground. A bright white light flashed in three different places. All that was left was a silver medallion on a silver chain, reflecting off moonlight. To this day my informer never saw them again.

• Rookie - 14 Points Alex Medina (8/6/2012 10:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is an excerpt from a novel I'm writing called " The Last Eclipse."

Iravik led his friends into a small town. As the sun fell and faded into darkness, most people made their way home to their houses. The golden glow of warm fires emanated from the windows as they passed. Alkara and Sveyna chatted quietly as they followed Iravik into the tavern. As they all entered, a man accidentally bumped into Iravik.

“Oh, sorry, lad, ” the man mumbled.

He excused himself as he exited the tavern. Iravik’s eyes narrowed as he came to a realization. He followed the man with seething fury, easily noticed by his friends.

“Iravik?” Alkara asked cautiously. “What’s wrong?”

“Go rent a room, ” Iravik said. “I’ll be with you shortly.”

Iravik left a bag of coins in her gentle hands as he strode after the man who bumped him. Iravik saw the man enter a large house, worthy for a noble’s living quarters. Slamming his fist on the thick wood, Iravik couldn’t wait to get inside. He heard an impatient voice behind the door.

“What is it now?”

Iravik kept pounding the door, despite the throbbing pain his fist felt. This pain, however, was nothing compared to the pain he was about to inflict. The man opened the door and realized who it was.

“Oh, it’s you, ” he said tiredly. “I already said I was sorry. Go home.”

Iravik lunged, wrapping his strong hands around the man’s neck. “You left it to burn! ”

Pushing the man further into his house, Iravik slammed him against a wall with merciless force. Tossing the man throughout the house, he cried, “Why do you attack me?”

“You don’t remember me?” Iravik demanded. This fact fueled his anger to a dangerous degree. “You bastard! ”

Iravik kneed the man in the groin and landed an uppercut to his chin. The man landed hard on the wooden floor and rolled away in pain, winding up in the dining hall. Iravik hated the pathetic behavior of this weakling. The chandelier hanging from the ceiling provided plenty of light to illuminate Iravik’s furious face.

“You better damn well remember who I am! ”

Iravik charged the man as he stood up. A powerful kick to the chest sent the man crashing into several, elegant chairs. The sight of all this wealth drove Iravik to possibly kill this man.

“Look at me! ”

The man obeyed, almost whimpering. The man’s dark eyes widened as he looked into Iravik’s eyes.

“My God! ” he whispered. “I remember now! ”

“Then you remember what you did! ”

Iravik gripped a chair, swung it up in the air, and slammed it down onto the man, reducing the chair to large splinters. As the man groaned in pain, Iravik walked over to the dining table and flipped it over, its edge driving into the man’s ribs. Iravik turned as a woman and two children walked inside the house.

“What the hell! ” she cried. “Leave my husband alone! ”
    HUSBAND?he thought angrily.

Iravik veered towards the man, lifting him up by the collar of his tunic. He began grinding the man’s face against the wall until Iravik finally threw him into a cabinet containing ceramics behind glass doors. With a loud crash, the cabinet erupted into an explosion of skin piercing glass and ceramic shards.

Iravik had enough. A ball of fire ignited in Iravik’s palm.

“Die, you fucking coward! ”

The flame exploded on contact, the blaze ignoring everything but its target. As the fire died down, Iravik discovered the man was still alive, broken, but alive. A transparent veil of darkness shielded the man, acting as a protective bubble. Iravik looked around to see who cast the shadow.

He was shocked to see Alkara standing in front of the woman and children, tearing.

“I couldn’t let you kill him, Iravik, ” she said.

Iravik nodded awkwardly, trembling from his adrenaline and bloodlust. He fled the scene, leaving Alkara with a horrified family with a broken husband and father. After a few hours of searching, Alkara and Sveyna found Iravik weeping at the base of a lone tree down the road. She knelt next to him, embracing him. She held him, comforting him as he sobbed.

“He left us, ” Iravik cried. “He left us to die! ”

Iravik had almost killed his last living family member. He almost killed his very own father.

This piece displays the anger and resentment of the main character's feelings towards his father. Iravik lost his family and home to a demon. What may be confusing is how the characters summoned fire and shields of shadow. Iravik is a Radiant, one with the power to control fire and other forms of light. Alkara is a Shade, one with the power to control shadows and any other forms of darkness. If you wish to know more, feel free to contact me. Hoped you enjoyed!

• Rookie - 14 Points Amber Glistener (8/14/2012 10:55:00 PM) Post reply

This is an awesome and very detailed excerpt. Your sense of detail and suspense is wonderful. I cant wait to read the novel, hoping that you publish it.

• Rookie Amber Glistener (7/31/2012 10:03:00 PM) Post reply

This is a piece I wrote in my free time at school, I hope you enjoy. I call it Running Through The Mud.

My bare, rough feet kicked up stones and twigs as they sunk way down deep to my knees in the wet, slimy mud. Every step I took I had to grab my leg and pull up hard. Sometimes I would pull too hard and fall backward completely engulfing myself in the deep layer of mud. My arms and legs were cut up many times by shards of glass and bits of branches and rocks that protruded out of the ground. The bottoms of my feet had many stab marks and gashes, that I refused to stop and look at them for fear that I would faint. I needed to get to the monastery. The message must be given.
    The rain splintered down at me, making my travels that much more wet and unpleasant, but at least it relieved my wounds somewhat. The faster I ran the more I kicked up and the more painful it was when they stung my bare shoulders. A shout rang out from the roof of the building out in the distance, not that far away anymore. I saw a small figure up there, and knew it must be Garret on lookout.
    “It’s me! ” I screamed, almost falling over again as I still ran and was gasping for air anyways. “It’s Tracy! I have a message! Open the doors! ” I hoped that the thunder, wind and rain didn’t block out my cries from there. I was relieved to find that they weren’t when the doors were opened by two large men, Otis and John, by my recognition. Garret and a girl not much other than him, Jaden, ran through and toward me.
    “Slow down. What is the hurry?” Garret stopped me and I stood swaying my spot for a minute, then bent over and put my hands on my knees to catch my breath. He put his hand my back then quickly withdrew it as it came back with a hot mess of blood. “What happened to you?”
    I raised my finger, begging for just one more minute to catch my breath. “A message from the village.” I revealed a piece of rolled up parchment from a secret pouch in my scabbard. “Sensei should see this.”
    Just then, as if on cue, there came Sensei, a dark brown haired man with a short beard, clothed in a black tunic and light silk pants, also black in a sense, striding through the doors. Jaden took the piece of parchment from my hand and gave it to him. He took it and placed it within a pocket inside his tunic. That pocket was a secret hiding place just as the one in my scabbard had been.
    “Tracy?What happened to you?” Garret asked me again. Instead of replying as I wished to, I found the ground quickly rushing up to me and the blur of Garret’s white tunic as he caught me mid-fall. “Come on. Let’s get you in out of this rain and cleaned up.” Unable to move at all and too heavy for Garret to carry or drag inside, Otis came over and picked me up just under the shoulder-blades and the knees. Then everything went black.

• Rookie Kelly Seale (7/30/2012 11:34:00 PM) Post reply

“Truth or Dare”

The four of them were snowed in for the evening, which was ok by Alex. Three beautiful women, and one man. Every guy's dream, right?Alex and Andrea had been happily married for twelve years, and Andrea's two best friends, were at present, single. Melissa had just gone through a nasty divorce, which had ended Alex's friendship with her ex-husband. Any man who beats up on women, is no man at all; and thus, Alex had tossed out their friendship with the evening's garbage.

Sheila, Andrea's voluptuous next-door neighbor, had an open, and unashamed crush on Alex for as long as she had known him. This little fact did not bother Andrea in the least; she trusted her husband totally, satisfied him completely, and she knew Sheila well enough to know that she would never do anything to ruin their marriage.
    Melissa, on the other hand, was already drunk, depressed and lonely as hell.
    Andrea had spent the last several weeks helping her through the final stages of her divorce, and was on edge that Melissa had already consumed four and a half glasses of brandy in the two hours since they had arrived.

It was the onset of nightfall, on a late November evening when the four of them had gotten together to celebrate Andrea's promotion to Vice President of Advertising. Their dinner was eloquent, yet simple; baked salmon, marinated in Andrea's special lemon butter and light rum sauce. The side dishes, Melissa and Sheila had brought along to help cut time in the kitchen.
    The conversation flowed as freely as the liquor, and the evening was progressing well. With their dinner over, Andrea suggested that they all move into the den, with the warm glow of firelight to set the mood.

Alex sat in his favorite king-sofa recliner that he picked out purposefully to clash with Andrea's refined taste in decor. She allowed him that luxury because he had seduced her in that very chair, while the store manager was off busily attending to other " serious" customers. She had scolded him for taking such chance in public, but she was quite turned on by his inventiveness and brazen lust of the moment.

The girls plopped onto the thick pile carpet in front of the warm roaring fire, each with a fresh drink. Alex had his usual thin-lipped mug of premium beer. Sheila scooted closer to Alex to tease him.
    " Hey Alex, want to play strip-poker?" She giggled.
    " You'd have to ask Andrea that question Sheila, " Alex coolly replied. " It's her party! "
    " How about 'Truth or Dare?" Andrea changed tactics, catching the gleam of her husband's eye.
    " I'm not-" Melissa protested. " Well, I don't think that's such a good idea Andrea. Do you remember the last time we did that?" Melissa said, trying to be persuasive. " You got mad as hell at me because I told you that I hooked up with 'What's His Face, ' in our Culinary Arts Class."
    " Well sweetheart, you were still married at the time, and it was risky as hell, " Andrea scolded her. " I had to think fast when Asshole called over here looking for you. I didn't know where the fuck you were or what the fuck you were doing, or who the fuck you were doing it with! " Andrea let her have it. " Besides, two wrongs, don't make a right! "

" I don't think it's a good idea either, " Alex added. " You girls always play the truth part, and never the dare. Where's the excitement?"
    " Oh, I don't know about that Alex, " Sheila said with a raised eyebrow. " You never know, you might be witness to a 'Cat Fight, ' Rrreeer! " She teased, showing her claws.
    " Or maybe, " Melissa chided in. " Sheila will take off her clothes and make x-rated snow angels outside! " Melissa laughed and spilled her drink on the stone hearth. " Oops! Alcohol abuse! " She looked at Alex with her best bedroom eyes. " Al, be a darling, and get me another drink."

" It would be my pleasure Mel." Alex caught a glimpse of Andrea's disapproving eyes as he got up and padded over to the bar to get Melissa another brandy. He poured himself another beer, taking pleasure in the mechanics of opening an ice-cold bottle of Michelob Ultra, and pouring it into his favorite mug, light foam forming as it reached mid-pour in the glass. " Oh Yeah! " He handed Melissa her glass and listened in on the game, already in progress.
    " Truth! " The two girls said at the same time as they ganged up on each other.
    " Ok now, something secret, " Melissa said to Sheila. " Something that you've never told anyone else before."
    " Ok! " Sheila said, matter of fact, and turned towards Alex. " Alex, I'm madly in love with you! Have been since the day I met you, " she confessed.
    " Bullshit! That's no secret! " Andrea attacked her with a fluffy pillow. " Now you have to take our dare! "
    " Ok! Ok. Ok... Go ahead, and make my day! " Sheila surrendered.

" Wait a minute, come over here Andrea." Melissa pulled her just out of earshot, whispering, then giggling. Andrea nodded in agreement and they both faced Sheila.
    " Let's see if see she will do it! Sheila, " Andrea addressed her, licking her lips.
    " You have to give Alex here, a big hot kiss on the lips! "

" Oh come on girlfriend, you can do better than that! " Sheila stood up, and leaned over towards Alex, then looked over her shoulder at Andrea, smiling.
    " How about one of my 'specials?"
    " Wha- Whadaya mean, specials?" Alex asked her, uncomfortable that the attention was now on him, his reaction.. Sheila turned back to Alex.
    " That's right, you've never had one of my 'melts in your mouth, long, hard, wet kisses that last three days! " Alex's eyes were as big as quarters.

With just a hint of hesitation for effect, Sheila planted a very light kiss upon Alex's lips. " There, " Sheila said, smiling back at Andrea. " Is that what you wanted to see?"
    " Well done! " Andrea nodded back in approval. " You passed the test with flying colors! "

" Next! " Sheila said, turning her focus on Melissa. " Truth or dare?"
    " Truth, I guess." Melissa said sheepishly.
    " Ok now, " Andrea said to Mel. " Something you've never told anyone, not even me." Melissa thought for a moment, and nervously ran her finger around and around the edge of her glass, looking into the fire before she finally spoke.

" The last time he hit me..." She swallowed hard before continuing. " I - I never told anyone, but I was- I was pregnant! "
    " Mel! " Andrea put down her drink and was at Melissa's side in an instant, holding Mel's hand tightly in her own. " Why?Oh honey, what happened?"
    Melissa took a deep breath, then began.

" I had know for a while I guess, before I finally bought a test to confirm it, " she teared up as she looked at Andrea. " I'm sorry I didn't tell you Andrea, I just wanted him to be the first to know. I guess I just thought that maybe it might make a difference, that maybe it might change things."

Melissa stopped to take a slug of her drink. She almost put it down; but then, picked it up to finish it off before she continued.
    " Of course, I was dead wrong. It sent him into a blind rage! He started screaming at me, saying that I'd planned it all just to try and change him. Anyway, he started hitting me like he always ends up doing; and I did my best to fight back, but I was trying to protect the baby. He noticed. He stopped. Then he got this look in his eye, and I knew what he was going to do. I felt so alone, so helpless. I felt so defeated."

Andrea and Sheila were both at her side, trying to help her through this. Melissa wiped the tears from her eyes, and half-smiled at Alex to get her another drink; which he immediately retrieved for her, his own eyes wide and watery.
    " Go on sweetheart, " Andrea said to her. " Tell us about the baby."

" Well, after he had finished- After he had forced me to- I locked myself in the bathroom. I knew- I just knew I had lost the baby. I just sat there, on the toilet, and cried. I couldn't stop, couldn't hold back the pain and the loss. I sat there for the longest time, exhausted and spent. Then, when I finally got the strength, I got up, flushed, and went into the bedroom to get dressed. When I came out, the bastard was watching cartoons. Do you believe that?He was watching fucking cartoons."

" So that's the day you called me to come and get you?The day you finally listened to me and left the son-of-a-bitch?" Andrea was visibly shaken.
    " Yeah, " Melissa replied. " And I told him if he ever touched me again, I'd kill him where he stood! "
    " So, what did he do when you told him that?" Sheila asked, unbelieving.
    " Well, he laughed in my face, until I shoved the 'Lady Smith' up his nose and said I'd blow his brains out! " Melissa was glad her friends now knew the truth, as she was finally and completely over it. She was done.

Sheila glanced over at Andrea, avoiding Alex's glare. Alex's eyes gave away his thoughts even before they escaped his lips. " Andrea! " Alex started after her. " You gave her your gun?"
    " Now wait a minute Alex! " Andrea got up to calm her husband. " If I hadn't given her my gun, he would have killed her along with the baby! " Andrea defended. " You know it's true! It would have happened eventually! "
    Alex sat back down, his eyes still fixed on his wife's.
    " Next! " He said to Andrea. " Truth or dare?"
    " Dare! " She said with a mocking smile of confidence. " I'll take the dare! "
    " Ok, strip for us, " Alex said matter of fact. " Strip for us all! "
    " Alex! " Sheila said with raised eyebrows and a wry smile. " Whatcha' got in mind?" she asked Alex.
    " Andrea wanted to play, so lets play! " He replied. Andrea's eyes made no attempt to hide that she found this very interesting. Where was Alex going with this, she wondered. Well, they were all about to find out just how far she would take it.

She smiled at Sheila and Melissa as she got up off the floor.
    " Ok guys, you asked for it! " She proceeded to strut her stuff across the room towards the Hi-Fi, and at the same time, the two girls went, " Boom-baba-boom, boom-baba-boom! " Laughter erupted from everybody

Andrea took her time looking through their large collection of CD's, searching for just the right song. Alex was getting somewhat impatient, and leaned over to Sheila, whispered something in her ear, causing her to giggle uncontrollably.
    " Alright you two! " Andrea said without turning around. " Keep your hands off the sawbones! "

" Just pick out some sexy music and take it off baby! Take it all off! " Alex teased her. Andrea smacked her lips together when she found what she was looking for, and put the disc into their BOSE sound system. She made the appropriate song selection, adjusted the volume way up, and waited for the song to cue up, anticipating their reaction.

" I lie in an empty bed... thinking late thoughts, waiting for the black to replace... my blue. I do not struggle in your web- because it is my aim to get caught. but daddy longlegs, I feel... that I'm finally growing weary of waiting to be consumed by you..."

As Fiona Apple's voice oozed from the twelve tiny, but loud speakers throughout the room, Andrea's fingers dipped into her mouth, seductively sucking, then, slowly withdrawn, tracing her lips with the moisture, teasing. Her body undulating to the sexy, sassy singer's rendition of " The First Taste." Her hands moving between the straps of her dress, then disappearing underneath.

" Give me the first... taste, let it begin... heaven cannot wait...forever."

Andrea's eyes never left her husband's as she danced to the hypnotic melody.

" Darling, just start the chase... I'll let you win, but first you must make the endeavor..."

Inch by inch, Andrea began revealing more skin; the straps falling off her shoulders, then lower, all eyes glued to her inhabit ions. Her bare breasts were barely covered by her hands. A flash of nipple, made Sheila gasp out loud. Andrea continued without missing a beat, as if she was a pro. Alex couldn't believe his eyes as she proceeded even lower.

" Oh, your love gives me a heart contusion... Adagio breezes fill my skin with sudden red- Your hungry flirt borders intrusion..."

Andrea let her dress fall to the floor as she continued her seduction. Dressed now only in lace panties and garters with stockings, she unsnapped first one, then the other.

" I'm building memories on things we have not said... Full is not heavy as empty, not nearly my love, not nearly my love... not nearly..."

Andrea slid her left stocking down, then off her leg, and draped it over Alex's face.

" Oh my God! Andrea, you've been moonlighting as a stripper! " Sheila said, her eyes transfixed on the decadent movements of her friend. Melissa was into it too, laughing in-between sips of her drink, switching to something harder from the bar for the occasion, straight Wild Turkey! Alex was mesmerized as the other stocking made it's way down his wife's long, luscious leg, and joined the other, still draped over his head.

" Give me that first taste, let it begin... heaven cannot wait... forever. Darling, just start the chase... I'll let you win, but first you must... Make the endeavor..."

Andrea turned around, tossed her head back, letting her long golden hair cascade down her bare back, rolling her head from side to side to the music.Her hips swaying, legs together, then apart, then together, fingers tucked into the edge of her white lace panties. Alex's eyes were glued to the scene that was unfolding, and he was smiling like a Cheshire Cat.
    Melissa was moving to the music and still laughing, not believing what she and the others were witnessing. Sheila's eyes were locked onto Andrea's, never leaving them for a second as Andrea tempted them.

" The first taste, let it begin... heaven cannot wait... forever - Start the chase... I'll let you win, but first you must make the endeavor..."

Fingers pulling down satin sin, over perfect curves, and pulling down and out through those shapely legs.

" Ahaa... Oooo... Dada... Dadooo... Ahaa... Oooo... The first taste..."

Andrea place the silken undergarment over her husband's head where her stockings had once been, just as Fiona Apple's " First Taste, " came to perfect end.

" Jesus H. Christ! " Alex burst out to his wife, shifting uncomfortably, trying to hide his excitement. They all clapped and whistled cat-calls as Sheila got up and kissed Andrea on her cheek.

" Girl! You got skills! " Sheila told her with a flush face. She started helping Andrea by picking up her clothes when Andrea stopped her.
    " " Leave em! I'll just go put on something more comfortable, ha ha! " With that, Andrea disappeared into the bedroom. Alex was still in shock, and visibly flush over his wife's performance, as was Sheila, and Melissa was, uh, drunk!

Sheila turned her attention towards Alex. " Next! " She said, pointing her finger at Alex, wagging it back and forth, taunting him. " Truth or dare?" she demanded to know. Andrea returned wearing a Michigan Wolverines jersey, big enough to cover her entire body. Underneath, dark, satin-blue bikini panties.
    " Now that's more like it! " She said with relief, now that all the attention was not focused on her but that of her husband. " Next! " She repeated Sheila's previous question to Alex. " Truth or dare Alex?"

" Uh, truth! I- I mean dare! " He quipped back, uncomfortable that he was the last to go. " Shit! " He paused, finally giving in, giving up, as he realized the situation he was now in, knowing there was no other way out. " Truth, " he said to Andrea. Truth."

Alex wasn’t so sure that he was going to go through with this. He went to the bar, fixed himself a double Jack and Coke, and stood with his back to the girls facing the fire. He took a strong hit form the drink, then he began.

“Andrea, How long has it been since I left the force and have been with “Stealth System Security?”
    “Emm, a little over three years.” She answered him.
    “And before that, how long was I a cop?” Alex was fishing for something.

“Well, you’d been a rookie for almost a year when we met then, soon after married, so that’d make it about 8 or 9 years right?” Andrea had been relieved that he left the job and found a safer one in the private sector, one with less danger and more pay, much more pay. She always felt Alex missed being a cop, but never approached the subject in fear that he might one day, go back.

“Yeah, that’s about right, ” Alex hesitated, swirling the ice around in his drink. He made the decision just then, he was going to tell her. “Fuck it! ” He drained his glass. “Andrea, you never pushed the issue when I turned in my badge, even when there were rumors that I was dirty and had to quit or face jail, you never questioned me.” He wanted to get this out in the open.

“Hey, you know how I felt about you being a cop. I thought it would be exciting at first, but after we were married, there were a lot of nights I wondered if you were coming home to me alive. I didn’t like it, but I wasn’t going to tell you how to live your life. You had to find your own path and go with it. Alex, I was and always will be there for you, no matter what you do.”

Andrea lit up a smoke as her husband turned around to face her. “Besides, I wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I’ll be honest, I was glad you quit, no matter what the reason. And you could never have been dirty, never.” Andrea paused; then, not sure where he was going with this, “Do you miss it?”
    “No! ” Alex bent down, and looked directly into her eyes. “No I don’t! ”
    “So babe, what’s this all about?” Andrea was intrigued; yet, intuition told her that this wasn’t going to be good.

Alex walked over to the bar, and fixed himself another drink. Sheila and Melissa shared the sofa-recliner with criss-crossed legs, and big, anxious eyes. None of them would be prepared for what Alex was about to tell them next, not even Alex.

“Rose and I got a domestic disturbance call, and in this city, that could mean anything. We were expecting it to be routine; however, we were wrong, dead wrong. The guy on the 911 had said something about a vicious dog, so that made Rose very uneasy. Rose hated dogs, sort of a phobia I guess. Whenever somebody asked him why he hated dogs, all he said was ‘I had a bad experience once! ”

Everybody called his partner “Rose, ” because he’s a big red-headed Irishman who always has rosy-red cheeks. He was Alex’s complete opposite, which is why their partnership was so good, they complemented each other. Alex finished his Jack and Coke before he continued. To get through this, he would need a lot of courage, which he found from the alcohol.

”Anyway, when Rose and I get to the scene, we could hear this guy’s voice booming from the inside, telling his wife to ‘Clam up, or else! ’ We knocked on the door, and she opened it up a crack to se what we wanted. We show our badges and credentials, and ask if we could come in. She says that this is a bad time, but we told her we really needed to come in to ask a couple of questions to make sure everything was on the up and up. When she lets us in, we were met by a huge Rottweiler, he musta’ been at least 150,160 pounds, and he wouldn’t shut up, he just kept barking and barking. The woman, she’s still upset, and starts babbling about something that neither Rose nor I caught. Then, her old man gives her ‘The Eye’ and she shuts up.”

Alex stopped for a minute to poke the fire and toss another login, then he continued.
    “Rose, he takes the wife and sits her down in the kitchen, while I talk with the husband. This guy, he’s a real piece of work, a real winner. He’s got everything but ‘Mom’ tattooed on his arm. He hadn’t bathed in days I guess, shit, maybe even weeks. There were beer cans crushed and scattered all over the place, cigarette butts and burns on his chair, trash piled up all over the place, I asked him about the squabble between him and his wife, he says she’d gone off about how he’d dropped off the kid at his sister’s place before she’d gotten home from work. Says the kid wouldn’t stop cryin’ and he’d gotten sick of it."

Alex was ready for another drink, and handed his glass to Andrea. She didn't fix him a double; although, at this point in the evening, it really didn’t matter. She made herself a Bombay Sapphire martini, and asked Shelia and Melissa if they were ready for another. A Margarita for Sheila, and a straight Wild Turkey for Mel. Once the drinks were made and served, everybody was ready for Alex to continue- except Alex.

“It was the Building Super who’d phoned in the call, overhearing the fight, and the wife pleading with her husband to tell her where her baby was and what had happened. Between all the yelling and the dog barking non-stop, the Super had enough, and called us. The husband wasn’t giving us much; the kid was at his sister’s with no phone, and she probably wouldn’t be home anyway. When I asked why, he told me that she goes out a lot, taking the kid with her. This guy didn’t seem too concerned at all about his kid; which normally, I would have found suspicious, but this guy- Shit! His wife seemed genuinely worried that something was terribly wrong. Shit, she was down-right scared.”

Alex was getting agitated as his story continued to unfold. Shit, he was sweating. He started to fix himself another drink, when he remembered the double Jack and Coke that Andrea had fixed him. He retrieved it from the mantle and lit up a smoke before he went on. Andrea, Sheila and Mel were watching Alex’s every move, and hanging on his every word. The creepy feeling of dread filled the room.

“This guy was really trying my patience. He wasn’t even paying attention to the dog, who was still incessantly barking. The whole scene was giving me a bad feeling. I was getting a headache from the dog barking, so I asked him if he could do something about it so we could wrap this up and get the hell out of there. He said ‘Sure Pal, ’ then he got up and went to the kitchen. Rose was trying his best to calm the wife, and all it took was one look from the Jerk, and she was quite. He opened up the fridge and took out a thick t-bone and tossed it to the big son-of-a-bitch! Jesus! The fucking dog ate better than I did! The dog swallowed the hunk of meat, bone and all, with barely a chew. After he downed his snack, he started barking again. The guy went back to his chair and started watchin’ TV, oblivious to the noise.”

Alex stopped for a moment, then said, “How on fucking earth, could this sick bastard deal with that constant barking; and yet, not his crying kid?”
    Andrea saw the moisture in her husband’s eyes, and was uneasy with where this was going. She remembered how he was for the last couple of months before he had quit the force, let alone; the months that followed. If it hadn’t been for the Securities deal, he would have went over the edge.

“Well, I was getting nowhere with this asshole, so I went back into the kitchen to see how Rose was doin’ with the wife. When I got in there, she was sobbing again, and Rose looked up, and gave me that ‘Let’s get the fuck out of here’ look. He had a statement from her that said the husband had done something terrible to her child, but she didn’t know what. She just knew that her baby was gone and he wouldn’t tell her where he was. I told Rose that I had gotten ‘zilch’ from the husband and that we should take them both downtown for further questioning. Rose calls another squad to pick the wife up, while we take the ‘Slob’ to see if we can find the sister and hopefully, the missing kid. As an afterthought, I called Animal Control to come and get the dog, ” Alex shook his head in disbelief. ” That Goddamned dog, just wouldn’t shut up.”

Alex stopped again, and got a smoke from Andrea, which she lit, took a drag then, passed it to her husband. Alex inhaled deeply then; upon exhale, was ready to begin again.

“Rose and I came up empty at the sister’s house, so once we got to the precinct, I put the ’Armpit’ in a holding cell and gave him the Miranda. He asked me what he’d been arrested for, and I told him to take his pick; disturbing the peace, domestic violence, assault and battery, kidnapping, or murder. Then there was my personal favorite, generally stinking up the place. He tells me that I got nuthin’ on him, then lawyer’s up. Fine! Fuck him, right?So I joined Rose with the wife in interview room three, and things started to fall into place.”

Alex began pacing the room as he spoke. The girls were transfixed on Alex’s every move, his every word.

“The wife suspected that her piece of shit husband had been abusing the baby for sometime but she could not confirm her worst fears. She tells us that it was little things that just didn’t seem right. She says that quite often, there would be an unexplained cry at night and her husband would not be in bed. Then, he’d bring him to her to quiet down and it would take awhile.
    ‘That cry is different from any other! ’ she says. But; like I said, she cannot catch him in the act, so when she comes home from work, her baby’s gone and he just tells her to relax, that his sister’s got him for awhile.”

“What did he do with her baby Alex?” Melissa asked uneasily, not really sure she wanted to know the answer. “Did he hurt her baby?Did he kill her baby Alex?”

“Well Melissa, that’s what we began to suspect, ” Alex said, confirming her worst fears. “But thing is, we couldn’t come up with the body, and Dickhead’s story about his sister having the baby just wasn’t checking out. A few hours later, we get a call from the morgue, they think they have located the body so we high-tail it over there to see if they have a positive ID, and witness the autopsy.”

Andrea had noticed that Alex had turned pale. His voice cracked slightly when he spoke, so he downed his fresh drink and tried again.

“Mack the knife, the M.E. uh- sorry, the Medical Examiner, had already started the autopsy when we arrived. Neither Rose nor I had been briefed, so nothing could have prepared us for what we were about to witness.” Alex’s hand, with the cigarette in it, was shaking as he smoked. Shit! His whole body was shaking, but he continued.

“The canine’s body was on the examination table, and I thought to myself, ‘What the fuck is that doing here?’ The M.E. had made a long, Y-shaped incision from the base of the upper chest, down to the genitals. Then, he opened up the abdominal cavity, exposing the inner stomach. What he did next, I still have nightmares about.”

Andrea, Shelia, and Melissa were all listening to Alex, trying to understand what he was telling them, but it didn’t make sense to any of them.

“What was that dog doing there Alex?” Melissa asked him, confused. Alex just ignored her, he had to get this out, he had to finish it.

“The stomach opened; next, the M. E. probed inside and started removing tiny body parts. First; there was a piece of an arm, then a hand. Next; came part of the leg, then the foot. Then came the rest, my body went totally numb and ridged as he pulled each piece out and carefully placed then in the steel bowl, like pieces to a puzzle. I thought- ‘My God! How could this have happened?What kind of monster could do this?’ That’s when Rose grabbed a can, and puked his guts out! I bolted out the door before I lost my own lunch! ”

When the realization of what Alex was telling them finally sunk in, the horror of it was devastating! Andrea started crying, big teardrops rolling down her cheeks. Shelia was in denial, and in total shock. Andrea stood up to look Alex directly in the eyes.

“My God, Alex, ” Andrea said in utter, desperate disbelief. “He killed the baby?” She couldn’t quite get the last few words out of her mouth. “He- He killed the baby, and he fed him to the dog?No! ”

Melissa rushed to the bathroom to throw-up. Alex himself, had tears rolling down his face as he spoke.

“What got to me the most, the part I can never get out of my head, was that tiny, little hand of his, ” Alex choked out between sobs. “Those five little fingers would never again, make a fist. Never hold a baseball, or feel the way that the laces of a football, fit perfectly in his hand. Never, ever, put a worm on a fishhook, and experience what it’s like to land a big one.”
    Alex was done. It was finished. He turned around, towards the fire, and added one last thing.

“I spent the next several days on personal time, talking to department shrinks, they did no good. I finally ended up in confessional. The Priest asked me- He wanted to know why I had lost my faith in God, ” Alex turned to face Andrea.
    “Can you believe that?He fucking wanted to know why I had lost my faith.”

Alex stood for a while, with his back to them. His sobs had subside somewhat, his body spent and ridged. Finally, Andrea could not take it anymore, her heart breaking for her husband. She got up; walked over to him, put her arms around him, holding him tightly. He began to cry again. She couldn’t have known what he must be feeling. No, she could never imagine it. But something wasn’t right, she felt something different from him. Then, it came to her, he wasn’t crying. He was laughing. It started low; then unable to control himself, Alex laughed out loud.

“What the fuck! ” Andrea was confused. “Why are you laughing Alex?” Then it hit her like a slap in the face. “Son-of-a-bitch! Bastard! It’s bullshit! It’s all bullshit isn’t it?” You made that whole story up, didn’t you?You sick asshole! ” Andrea attacked him, hitting him in the back and arms, unleashing all her anger and hurt onto her husband. Then Alex turned around, and she slapped him hard in the face! ”

Sheila and Melissa were totally lost. “What the fuck are you talking about Andrea?Sheila asked in disbelief. There’s no way he could have made all that up! Right, Alex?Alex- Right?”

“I’m sorry, ” Alex said, defending himself as best he could. “You guys put me on the spot! I don’t have any secrets or truths hidden that Andrea doesn’t know about, besides; this was your game, I just tried to make it more interesting.”

“Where the fuck did you come up with a story like that anyway?” Sheila asked him.

“Hey, I’m an ex-cop, and I watch a lot of cop shows, ” Alex replied.
    “You lied to me, you son-of-a-bitch! It hurt! ” Andrea was genuinely upset, which made Alex realize that he really screwed up. He bit his lip, and apologized to her again.

“Babe, I’m so very sorry. Please, please forgive me. Let me make it up to you! ” Alex begged.

“No! Fuck you! ” Andrea pushed him away, not budging. Then, it was like a light had been flipped on in her head. “You know, ” she started to say to him, half smiling. “Payback’s a bitch! ”

She turned to Sheila and Melissa and winked. “Come on girls! Let’s get him! ” She commanded. The three women pounced on Alex like lions on a kill! Andrea led the pride. They started to tear his clothes off him in a mad frenzy! Alex was laughing, not fighting much at all; why should he, this was great!

The last of his clothes removed, Alex lay on the floor naked as the day he was born, with three beautiful women on top of him. Andrea whispered something in Sheila’s ear; who in turn, whispered to Melissa. As it turned out, Alex’s fantasy was short lived when they grabbed his arms and legs, and pulled him towards the front door.

“Hey! What the fuck are you-“ The realization of their plan hit him in mid-sentence. “No- No! You wouldn’t” He asked them in disbelief, in desperation.

“Oh wouldn’t we?” Andrea said to him as they reached the door. “Truth or dare Alex?” Melissa dropped his leg as she opened the door to the cold outside. At this point, Alex really started to struggle, but it was too late; he was outside, on his ass, in the snow, before he knew what hit him.

“Hey! No- Wait! ” He pleaded, as they shut and locked the door behind them. “Hey! Girls! Hey Andrea, I’m sorry! I’ll do anything you say- Anything! ” At that moment, Alex realized he was standing outside, naked, for all the world to see, pounding on the door, drawing even more attention to himself. He stopped, and just tried to blend in with the night shadows, with his backside facing out, hands cupped in a strategic location to keep them warm.

Inside; the girls were all laughing, when Sheila yelled through the door to Alex, “Hey Alex! LMFAO! ”

“Let him cool off a bit, ” Andrea said to her two girlfriends. “It’ll teach him a lesson not; to play with fire, or he will get burned! ”

“Hey Andrea, did you hear that?” Sheila had that look in her eyes. “He said that he’d do anything! He’d do anything at all! ”

The three of them looked at each other, as they all came to the same idea. Without a second thought, Andrea smiled and said to them, “Truth or dare?”

“Dare! ” Sheila said back to Andrea, her eyes as big and bright as saucers. With that; all three made a mad dash to the door to unlock it, and let a cold, naked, and embarrassed Alex, inside.

“You screwed up the truth part Alex, ” Andrea said with a mischievous grin. “Now you have to take the dare! ”

Alex tried to hide his embarrassment; yet, show his appreciation as they opened the door to let him in. “Ok, ok. Anything you say, ” Alex said, teeth chattering. “Just hurry up and bring me back inside! ”

“Come on in, you poor little boy, ” Sheila teased, scooting him in with a goose on his cute, cold derriere. “And let us warm you all up! ” The three of them led Alex to the warmth of the fire, where he sat down on the thick pile carpet, and tried; unsuccessfully, to hide his excitement.

Sheila’s eyes widened as she sat down next to Alex. “Oh my, ” she said, and smiled at Andrea, as they all looked down towards Alex’s lap. “Truth or dare?”

[Hata Bildir]