Poetry Grants, Prizes, Awards

Post a message
  • Rookie - 15 Points Diana Rose Tolentino (10/9/2013 2:28:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Good day my fellow poets.
    Please read my contest entry entitled " FANTASY" .
    Click the link below to vote vote vote. Thank you so much.

http://www.poemhunter.com/contest-vote/fantasy-63/

• Rookie - 97 Points Indranil Bhaduri (9/23/2013 8:34:00 AM) Post reply

Respected fellow poets. I would be most happy if you read through my simple poem 'End Of Existence' which is written regarding Female infanticide. The link is given below. Please vote and comment. With good wishes to all.

http://www.poemhunter.com/contest-vote/end-of-existence/

Regards,
    Indranil Bhaduri

• Rookie Nicanor P. Tiosen (8/25/2013 10:16:00 PM) Post reply

I tried to submit a poem for the poetry contest. The problem is after I have posted my poem and pushed the send button, the response was that the security code was incorrect. I do not know but the instruction is not user friendly. On top of the SEND button, there is Different Images. On top of these there are letters where I do not know where to place as there is no box where which to write them. Please help me.

• Rookie Subarna Chakraborty (8/7/2013 10:57:00 AM) Post reply

Hello to the poets and readers.I write various kind of poems, stories but I never entered in any competition of writing before this one.Well I already submitted my poem and want all of you to read.Mostly I want is feedback, cause we all know it'll improve our writing.

• Bronze Star - 5,147 Points Edgar Stevens (8/6/2013 3:55:00 AM) Post reply

Poem Hunter Poetry Contest has officially started. You can enter with your favorite poem now or write a new one and submit it before August 31st,2013.

Prize is $1,000 for the winner and $250 for the 2nd and 3rd place..

You can write in any poetic style and on any subject.

Entering the contest is free.

Details: http://www.poemhunter.com/contest/

• Rookie Apoorva Singh (5/1/2012 11:12:00 AM) Post reply

i could not really find appreciable efforts to encourage poets from countries other than U.S and U.K. hailing from india all i could find on the internet was a dissapointing comment from a fellow poet that publishers dont want to print poems as they dont sell..! ! !

plz inform if there are poetry contests or opportunities to get my poems judged... and get rewarded for it..

• Poemhunter Moderator (12/15/2011 7:23:00 AM) Post reply

Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine

The Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine was founded in 2009 by Donald Singer, a clinical professor, and poet and translator Michael Hulse. The founders 'wished to draw together national and international perspectives on three major historical and contemporary themes uniting the disciplines of poetry and medicine: medicine as inspiration for the writings of poets; effects of poetic creativity on the experience of illness by patients, their families, friends, and carers; and poetry as therapy. There are two awards: one for UK health students and National Health Service-related professionals, including educators, researchers, and biomedical scientists, and a second one, the International Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine, for an international open category for unpublished poems in English by any living poet. The Hippocrates poetry and medicine initiative was short-listed in the 2011 Times Higher Education awards for Excellence and Innovation. This award aims to recognise the collaborative and interdisciplinary work that is taking place in universities to promote the arts. Entries were open to teams from all higher education institutions in the UK.

Founding judges were
    doctor and poet Dannie Abse
    broadcaster James Naughtie
    NHS Medical Director Professor Sir Bruce Keogh.

The inaugural 2010 awards were presented by the judges at a ceremony at an International Symposium on Poetry and Medicine at the University of Warwick on 10 April 2010. The winner of the first Open International prize was New Zealand poet C. K. Stead (his winning poem was Ischaemia) and for the first NHS prize nurse and educator Wendy French (her winning poem was it's about a man) .

2010 Winners

Open International Awards:

1st Prize: C. K. Stead (Christchurch, New Zealand) - Ischaemia
    2nd Prize: Siân Hughes (Banbury, England) - Treatments
    3rd Prize: Pauline Stainer (Hadleigh, Suffolk, England) - Insight

NHS Awards:

1st Prize: Wendy French (London, England) - It's about a man
    2nd Prize: Alex Josephy (London, England) - The corridor
    3rd Prize: Edward Picot (Kent, England) - Time to get ready

The judges for the 2011 Prize were
    Professor Steve Field CBE, Chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners 2007-2010
    First Welsh National Poet Gwyneth Lewis
    Journalist, BBC broadcaster and author Mark Lawson

There were around 1500 entries from 23 countries for the 2011 Prize. The 40 Commendations in the 2011 Hippocrates Prize were awarded to entries from Canada (1) , England (29) , New Zealand (1) , Scotland (2) and the USA (7) . The awards for the 2011 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine were introduced by judge Mark Lawson on 7 May 2011, with NHS awards introduced and presented by Professor Steve Field CBE and the Open awards introduced and presented by Gwyneth Lewis at a 2nd International Symposium on Poetry and Medicine. The 2011 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine was supported by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine, HTI Heads Teachers and Industry and the Cardiovascular Research Trust. An anthology of the 46 winning and commended poems in the Open and NHS categories was published on 7th May 2011.

2011 Winners

Open International Awards:

1st Prize: Michael Henry (Cheltenham, England) - The Patella Hammer
    2nd Prize: Cheryl Moskowitz (London, England) - Correspondence with the Care Home
    3rd Prize: Johanna Emeney (Albany, New Zealand) - Radiologist's Report

NHS Awards:

1st Prize: Paula Cunningham (Belfast, N Ireland) - The Chief Radiographer Considers
    2nd Prize: Wendy French (London, England) - The Doctor's Wife
    3rd Prize: Dr Sandy Goldbeck-Wood (Cambridge, England) - Inappropriate ADH

• Poemhunter Moderator (12/13/2011 6:52:00 AM) Post reply

Pushcart Prize

The Pushcart Prize is an American literary prize by Pushcart Press that honors the best 'poetry, short fiction, essays or literary whatnot' published in the small presses over the previous year. Magazine and small book press editors are invited to nominate up to 6 works they have featured. Anthologies of the selected works have been published annually since 1976. Some of the winners are nominated from this List of literary magazines.

The founding editors are Anaïs Nin, Buckminster Fuller, Charles Newman, Daniel Halpern, Gordon Lish, Harry Smith, Hugh Fox, Ishmael Reed, Joyce Carol Oates, Len Fulton, Leonard Randolph, Leslie Fiedler, Nona Balakian, Paul Bowles, Paul Engle, Ralph Ellison, Reynolds Price, Rhoda Schwartz, Richard Morris, Ted Wilentz, Tom Montag, and William Phillips.

Among the writers who received early recognition in Pushcart Prize Anthologies were: Kathy Acker, Steven Barthelme, Rick Bass, Charles Baxter, Bruce Boston, Raymond Carver, Joshua Clover, Junot Diaz, Andre Dubus, William H. Gass, Seán Mac Falls, William Monahan, Paul Muldoon, Joyce Carol Oates, Tim O'Brien, Lance Olsen, Peter Orner, Kevin Prufer, Kay Ryan, Mona Simpson, Ana Menéndez, and Wells Tower.

2011 Pushcart XXXV winners

Mary Beth Hughes for 'Double Happiness' in a Public Space; Elliott Holt for 'Fem Care' in The Kenyon Review; Cheryl Strayed for 'Munroe Country' in the Missouri Review; Alan Shapiro's 'Indoor Municipal Pool' in the New Ohio Review; Sarah Einstein for 'Mot' in Ninth Letter; Martin Moran for 'Analphabet', Brigit Pegeen Kelly for 'Rome', L.S. Asekoff for 'Hither & Yon, ' all from Ploughshares

For The Pushcart Prize nomination process go to: http: //www.pushcartprize.com/nominate.htm

[Hata Bildir]