Treasure Island

About Famous Poets

Post a message
  • Sj Holland Rookie - 1st Stage (6/3/2013 6:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The eBooks page seems to be about the work of classic poets only. Thought it was a page where our eBooks could be offered. My fav poet is Robert Frost, so I downloaded his works. My next fav is Edgar. You know who that is. I'll download his next. If you haven't visited the page, the books are in.pdf format, fully searchable. Great feature of this site.

Replies for this message:
    • Vizard Dhawan Rookie - 1st Stage (6/4/2013 6:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hey you can create your ebook too just go to poet settings sections and click promote your poems column you can save your ebook there easily following few steps thanks.

• Srimayee Ganguly Rookie - 1st Stage (5/15/2013 12:29:00 PM) Post reply

My favourites include: John Keats, William Wordsworth, PB Shelly, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Christina Rosseti, Dante Gabriel Rossetti

• Jeff Mcguire Rookie - 1st Stage (4/12/2013 12:34:00 PM) Post reply

Is anyone else as interested in Misty Poetry as I am?The poetry of the great Bei Dao, of the shadowy angel Gu Cheng, of the impossible Duo Duo (who is even more difficult in translation) , and many other Chinese poets in the 1980s. Can anyone else help me find good information on this wonderful form of poetry?

• Claire Thomas Rookie - 1st Stage (2/10/2013 12:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Robert frost is my favourite poet.amazing metaphors hidden in the mundane.he, himself denied any deeper meaning.read mending wall.yes it's about a wall but it's about predudise and tradition and lots more.

• Jeff Mcguire Rookie - 1st Stage (4/12/2013 12:51:00 PM) Post reply

He denies deeper meaning because, having lived in New England all my life, there is little deeper meaning in his poems except that which the reader adds. The poems are what they are; nature poems rela ... more

• Jahan Zeb Rookie - 1st Stage (11/1/2012 10:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am a big fan of John Donne. A wonderful poet. One needs time to understand his poetry but one you understand him He is a superb poet. John Donne is the leader of Metaphysical Poetry. Though he is not alone there but still he occupies great place in English poetry. The sun rising, valediction, forbidden mourning, the good morrow, The flea are some of his great poems. His imagery and poetic conceits are very intellectual and the way he creates scenes is amazing.

• Shahzia Batool Rookie - 1st Stage (5/14/2013 10:41:00 AM) Post reply

A wonderful poet indeed! Be Donne, think as he does, feel as he does, don't argue against his arguments and sentiments and moods, don't stay modern but be a metaphysical like him...if...you want to un ... more

• Donna Hodge Rookie - 1st Stage (10/8/2012 4:29:00 PM) Post reply

Edward Markham

I just discovered this wonderful website. I collect books and today while looking at Twelve Centuries of English Poetry and Prose, copyright 1910, I discovered two poems someone had clipped and put inside this book. What a rare find. I fell in love with the poet Edwin Markham and " googled" his name and discovered he has written several poems and has left us with very entertaining and witty quotes. You can find these on www.BrainyQuote.com. While searching this website for the poem I found by Edwin Markham, it was not listed. I want to submit thise poem for you to add to his collection. This poem was printed in The Homiletic Review (New York) . It is worthy of posting! !

The Testing
    by Edwin Markham

When in the dim beginning of the years,
    God mixed in man the raptures and the tears
    And scattered through his brain the starry stuff,
    He said, " Behold! Yet this is not enough,
    For I must test his spirit to make sure
    That he can dare the vision and endure.

" I will withdraw my face,
    Veil me in shadow for a certain space,
    And leave behind only a broken clue,
    A crevice where the glory glimmers through,
    Some whisper from the sky,
    Some footprint in the road to track me by.

" I will leave man to make the fateful guess,
    Will leave him torn between the no and yes.
    Leave him unresting till he rests in me,
    Drawn upward by the choice that makes him free -
    Leave him in tragic loneliness to choose,
    With all in life to win or all to lose."

• Sofija Augusta Rookie - 1st Stage (9/11/2012 12:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Has anyone read " Mill on the Floss" , or any other novel by George Eliot?If you have I would like to hear your opinions about it. I think it is one of the best Victorian and English novels in general.

• Rose Flores Rookie - 1st Stage (3/25/2012 1:18:00 AM) Post reply

On Emily Dickinson

When you can browse an abstract picture and you can talk and see life in deep metaphors, you will feel the value of art in being.

Poetry is something beautiful out of anything and in ugliness. It transforms matter into movement and life. It creates an array of light, culture, stories, buildings, clouds, and cute monsters. It tastes heaven, death, grapes, blood, and glass. It sees triumph, moans grief, shouts wisdom, and all the mind could do.

" If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only way I know it..., " this is how Emily Dickinson finds poetry.

Dickinson is a noted poet. Her sentences are short that express a nervous discharge of energy. A poet of Victorian period, she has a certain kind of poetic insight that brings a startling contemporary tone to her works. Most of Ms. Dickinson's poems are metaphysical poems which are about life, love, and death among others. Her gift of words is timeless.

Sample Poem /Phrase from Emily Dickinson

" Death Is A Dialogue"

Death is a dialogue between
    The spirit and the dust.
    " Dissolve, says Death. The Spirit, " Sir, "
    I have another trust."

Death doubts it, argues from the ground
    The Spirit turns away,
    Just laying off, for evidence,
    An overcoat of clay.

1. " In the usual Metaphysical tradition, " Death is a Dialogue" expresses its meaning through the central devices of argument, and of image and situation, " Edith Tiempo says. (Edith Tiempo is a reputable professor in Poetry)

2. Emily Dickinson often uses off-rhymes (near rhymes or oblique rhymes) that it becomes a characteristic. Her earliest works show she could rhyme perfectly when she wants to, but for some reason she becomes fond of the little dissonance. She believes that any vowel can rhyme with another vowel.

Example: Instead of rhymes like " June" / " moon"
    she prefers " June" /men."

3. She also uses synesthesia (from Greek words meaning " blended feeling" ;) , as in " ... he hears odors..." and " To the bugle every color is red."

An analysis by R.P. Blackmur about Emily Dickinson writes:

" She was neither a professional nor an amateur poet (She was a private a poet): she wrote indefatigably as some women cook or knit. Her gift of words and the cultural predicaments of her time drove her into poetry instead of antimacassars."

Rose Flores -Martinez, Rosevoc2
    Ezine Articles.com

• Yunes Ramahi Rookie - 1st Stage (3/13/2012 11:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would like to share my blog.. it have a lot of poem http://gooftastic.blogspot.com/

• Ben Johnson Freshman - 2nd Stage (3/25/2012 6:52:00 AM) Post reply

It has got a lot of poems, all ripped off other people. As this thread among others on the Internet will show http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/1912/60/

• Poemhunter Moderator (2/21/2012 2:24:00 AM) Post reply

Paper and Salt: a blog about favorite dishes of famous authors

Paper and Salt researches and recreates the favorite dishes of famous authors, as found in their letters, diaries, essays, and fiction. Part food blog and part literary trivia, it offers a glimpse into the culinary inspiration that fed some of our most celebrated writers, and offers recipes for those who'd like to get a taste of it for themselves.

You can find Zora Neale Hurston, Elizabeth Bishop, Norman Mailer, Jean-Paul Sartre and many other poet and authors favorite dishes on the blog.

Visit the blog for more: http: //paperandsalt.org/

[Hata Bildir]