Treasure Island

Arts

Post a message
  • Poemhunter Moderator (3/9/2012 2:48:00 AM) Post reply

World's Oldest Charles Dickens Film Discovered

The oldest surviving film based on the works of Charles Dickens has been discovered after laying unnoticed in an archive for more than 50 years.

The Death of Poor Joe, which dates back to March 1901, was made by British film pioneer G.A. Smith and was given to the British Film Institute (BFI) in 1954 by a collector who had known Smith, but was catalogued under a different name and incorrect date.

You can watch the one-minute film on BBC News Entertainment&Arts page
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17298021

• Poemhunter Moderator (3/6/2012 6:26:00 AM) Post reply

Poetry Comes To Life in a Poem Forest

Artist Jon Cotner's installation takes classic lines from poetry and imposes them on a 20 minute walk through New York Botanical Garden park.

Cotner’s thinks that poetry shouldn’t just be studied, but rather should be looked at as ”a way of life, a mode of knowing.” With this in mind, the artist created ”Poem Forest, ” and idea that brings poetry back to nature–having visitors read lines from different poems while walking through the park.

Cotner: Poetry can wake us, and in the process we create a shared world or ‘the commons.' But what characterizes this common world? How can we describe it? With such questions in mind, I shaped Poem Forest. A typical literary event wouldn’t work; it’s too easy to drift while others read their own prewritten material. Poem Forest needed to be more engaging. Otherwise it wouldn’t be poetic.”

For an audiovisual tour in Poem Forest visit
    http: //blog.bmwguggenheimlab.org/2012/01/poem-forest-and-poetic-space/

• Poemhunter Moderator (2/14/2012 6:44:00 AM) Post reply

The Library as Incubator Project

The Library as Incubator Project was created by Erinn Batykefer, Laura Damon-Moore, and Christina Endres, three graduate students at the UW-Madison School of Library and Information Studies.

The Project highlights the ways that libraries and artists can work together and features:

- Visual artists, performing artists, and writers who use libraries in their communities for inspiration, information, and as gallery space
    - Collections, libraries and library staff that incubate the arts, and the ways that artists can use them effectively
    - Free-to-share resources for librarians looking to incubate the arts at their libraries
    - Ideas for artists looking to connect with their communities through library programming

For further detail and guidelines on http: //www.libraryasincubatorproject.org/? page_id=9

• Poemhunter Moderator (11/3/2011 7:48:00 AM) Post reply

Elizabeth Bishop’s Other Art

'This year is the centenary of the birth of Elizabeth Bishop, one of the most celebrated figures in American poetry, and several new collections of her prose, poems, and correspondence have been published to commemorate it. Her work is a widely recognized force in American poetry. Far less known is that Bishop was also an accomplished artist.'

written by: William Benton, the editor of 'Exchanging Hats', a book of Elizabeth Bishop’s paintings, and author most recently of Madly, a novel.

Read the rest on 'The New York Review of Books'
    http: //www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/mar/09/elizabeth-bishop-other-art/

• Sang-dae Suh Rookie - 1st Stage (10/30/2011 4:09:00 AM) Post reply

Why Art?
    by Sang-dae Suh on Saturday, October 29,2011 at 4: 09pm

A person's self-centeredness and narrow mindedness should sometimes go through the process of being attenuated by having an access to an artistic manifestation whatever form it may be.

Sometimes we need to be primed afresh with spiritual rations called art to wage a stressful war of day-to-day living, which is fraught with trials and tribulations.

Only through this sort of change of our intellectual air can we achieve broad-mindedness and richness in thoughts.

For some especially who lead an onerous life where their each and every meal is only secured by their own struggle both physical and mental, any artistic practice may seem luxuries and frills which have no room for their struggling life.

Others may have a strong hostility toward artists, labeling them useless good-for-nothing elements in our society.

However, throughout human history we find no discontinuation of artistic exertion albeit there were some weakened landscapes peppered here and there where artists in pursuit of certain directions were persecuted or in better cases mildly criticized.

Art has been an essential element of human development whose importance can never be look down upon which has been no less functional in human civilization than any scientific quests.

Joseph P. Goebbels, who was an heir apparent in Hitler's Nazi Germany and a maniacal art collector like his boss Hitler is allegedly said to have been greatly desponded and cursed the art forger when one of his collection items for which he had paid a huge sum of money proved to be a forgery.

Monsters like Hitler and Goebbels, whose rivals in human flagrance throughout history are extremely rare, were great art manias.

What does this irony imply?
    It no doubt means the importance and universality of art.

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/25/2011 7:20:00 AM) Post reply

Harold Pinter Sketch Rediscovered After Half A Century

A short sketch written by playwright Harold Pinter more than 50 years ago has been found in archives at the British Library.

The piece, which is a dialogue about umbrellas between two unnamed sunbathing gentlemen, was part of a revue at Nottingham Playhouse in 1960.

read it on bbc.co.uk: http: //bbc.in/uAjsEe

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/25/2011 1:49:00 AM) Post reply

Sylvia Plath Sketches

A selection of Sylvia Plath's drawings are at the Mayor Gallery (in Cork Street in London) from 1 November until 17 December 2011.

For her sketches visit: http: //www.mayorgallery.com/Sylvia-Plath/c635/index.html? page=1

Frieda Hughes, the daughter of poets Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, writes in the Guardian about her mother's inclination toward the visual arts. For the article visit: http: //www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/23/sylvia-plath-ted-hughes-art? newsfeed=true

• Mehta Hasmukh Amathalal Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (10/13/2011 8:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

'I and melody' addressed to friend about art and melody

“Poetry is strong arm of an art”
    She asserted it with confidence to look very smart
    I had fined her interesting at the start
    I found her in tune with poetry touch and very much part

I added mixture of both to form basic
    It looks then melodious and classic
    Where else was I to go and find?
    When Melody was always there to find?

I was in mood to elaborate as she remained at heart
    The poems were right means and purest form of an art
    It was berthing and spreading fragrance all the times
    I used to enjoy it and smelt most of the times

She was to complain that it was music in absence of tune
    How can you claim it flawless, without weakness and immune?
    I emphasized it to be divine melody
    It was not in the hands of anybody

Art is always in pure form
    Only you should stay inform
    The love and art definitely are inborn
    In absence it may stand as if torn

I told her to enjoy lovely evening
    Have full faith in art with clear leaning
    In end it was bound to be always winning
    As the rays are bright and shining

I asked her to be always nice
    Stand firm in her promise
    Poetry should not face sudden demise
    As it is heavenly and divine device

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Guitang Rookie - 1st Stage (4/27/2014 2:56:00 AM) Post reply

I studied Music composition in a Conservatory of Music. I deeply like your poems comparing to a wonderful melody. I really like the theme of your poem. SUPERB. Kindly visit my poems

• Maria C. Costa Rookie - 1st Stage (8/11/2013 10:48:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Sir, Mehta Hasmukh Amathalal I've just read your beautiful poem wherein a substantial content is revealed, highlighting Poetry, Art and Melody. In my view, Poetry is a noble Art one has to c ... more

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/12/2011 7:22:00 AM) Post reply

55th BFI London Film Festival (12-27 October 2011)
    Education event: Lyrical Film: Poetry and Cinema

Filmmaker Terence Davies and poet Glyn Maxwell join us to discuss the relationship between poetry and film.

To book tickets for Festival Education screenings and events
    http: //www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/node/12203

Share your thoughts and comments about this event.

[Hata Bildir]