Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

For Educators/ Lesson Plans and Teaching

Discuss the teaching of poetry, share lesson plans and exercises.
Post a message

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/15/2014 4:46:00 PM) Post reply

Language is the most important aspect of teaching poetry.

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/8/2014 11:00:00 AM) Post reply

Please feel Freetown contact me to teach you Shona . The language this book review was written in in some parts.It's. My mother language and. I am open to all who. Want to learn the language.

REVIEW  OF THE BOOK  " WE THE  PEOPLE " AND ITS LAUCH?

The  night of the 2nd day of April fools saw the spectacular  launch of a historical  compilation of various people's   Views and narrations     of the 31st day of March 2008, a day that left many with questions than answers, a day that saw the domination of power over the people.. In a book entitled

" WE    THE   PEOPLE."  

A lovely procession of  5 beautiful ladies, young and some in their middle ages led by Ms  rutendo chigudu  , took turns to entertain  the    ordinary  full house   Book cafe Audience  of artists, writers, professors, doctors, activists, social entrepreneurs, business people, traditional leaders, literates and literary literates.

Every reading  came in such a blow to the listening  ears, as each  of them was directly or indirectly addressing to a specific  zimbabwean  individual who might have taken their time to go early in the morning of 
    March 31st 2008. A day which saw an election in Zimbabwe.  That  brought fear, shock, despair, disillusionment as some  celebrations busted  out of the political  violence  that at one time left  some  with  what I can call   " ELECTION MARKS" , whilst some where left, homeless and instead, where to wait  for a result that left many doubting  and even asking them the question, why did the people vote?.

O oh Democracy, art thou so vile a beast, so wicked a monster, so undefiled an evil spell????.

The night  saw  uttermost peace and tranquility in such a way  that in was a book launch  and not some political gathering that Crisis  coalition or some other NGO in Zimbabwe  organised. There was freedom to interaction and speech that on the table I was  seated  with some white  gentlemen, I failed to see race and it's finishing line,  all I  could see were people. 
    But still, can the stories surrounding the 31st day of March on our zimbabwean  Callander just go untold! ?.

" we the people" is. A book that was written by  Mr McDonald lewanika together with Delta Milayo Ndou, McDonald lewanika, who then edited the book, was that night  seen on top of every question that was being raised in the house.
    The writers  As a master of social justice and political activism  himself  he clearly  writes  that:

" If  Zimbabwe  was to burn, all will burn in it."  

in this Statement, we see his patriotism to the nation and it's people. He emphasises that  which  the former Kenyan  president, the late Jomo Kenyata once said. That
    " We are Africans  not because we were  born in  Africa,  But. We are  Africans  because Africa was  born in us. "
    Meaning, it feeds from us, it lives in us, it moves  with us, when we fight, it suffers, when  we are stressed, it's stressed. When we are happy  , Africa is happy.

The Zimbabwean politics, like any other  African country  has been suffering   Political injustice, political immaturity  , corruption, and a lot that can not be put in words. The 31st day of March 2008 another day to remember. In the Zimbabwean history.
    As far as delta Milayo Ndou  and McDonald lewanika  are concerned, they have managed to put the words of the same effect in  one plate. And now left for us  as a people to take them to action or not. One thing to note is, irregardless of us taking charge of the Social  Activism steering wheel. The bus can drive itself. In this technological world full of. Face book and Whatsapp, Twitter, etc.

Review by 

$ir ZVAVANHUVEVHU JERIMOS Mugweni.

• Edgar Stevens (8/6/2013 3:54:00 AM) Post reply

Poem Hunter Poetry Contest has officially started. You can enter with your favorite poem now or write a new one and submit it before August 31st,2013.

Prize is $1,000 for the winner and $250 for the 2nd and 3rd place..

You can write in any poetic style and on any subject.

Entering the contest is free.

Details: http://www.poemhunter.com/contest/

• Orhan Afacan (1/8/2013 6:46:00 AM) Post reply

ADEMIN KALBI HASTA
    Ademin kalbi hasta sifasi Kur'andadir.
    Ademin gönlü darda ferahi Kur'andadir.
    Adem ölmek istemez çaresi Kur'andadir.
    Adem yalniz edemez vekili Kur'andadir.

Adem ilimi sever, ilimi Kur'andadir
    Adem övülmek ister degeri Kur'andadir.
    Adem bir kerre dogar, Kue'ana göre ölür
    Bu iki hal arasi neleri yasar, görür.

Adem neslini sorar, nesili Kur'andadir
    Adem Yaradan arar, asili Kur'andadir.
    Adem günlük islerle geçsinmenin derdinde
    Ebedi saadeti yitirme gayretinde.

Adem hiç, hiç unutma, sinav yeri burasi
    Bu dünyadan gider adem gelince sirasi.
    Ademin tek ümidi sefati Muhammedin
    Orhan sende kendine bunu gaye edin.

Orhan Afacan

• Joe Giuliani (10/23/2012 4:30:00 PM) Post reply

Friends,

Please note that my new book of poetry, " Dada Reborn: 21st Century Poems, " is now available on Amazon (Ebook) .

These poems are intended for a mature liberal-minded audience.

Thanks,

Joe

• Ni Lucy (7/24/2012 10:02:00 PM) Post reply

Considering the Snail

-Thom Gunn

The snail pushes through a green
    night, for the grass is heavy
    with water and meets over
    the bright path he makes, where rain
    has darkened the earth’s dark. He
    moves in a wood of desire,

pale antlers barely stirring
    as he hunts. I cannot tell
    what power is at work, drenched there
    with purpose, knowing nothing.
    What is a snail’s fury?All
    I think is that if later

I parted the blades above
    the tunnel and saw the thin
    trail of broken white across
    litter, I would never have
    imagined the slow passion
    to that deliberate progress.

http://www.guildwars2buygold.com

• Echezonachukwu Nduka (7/1/2012 12:24:00 AM) Post reply

Hello Poetry World! .Greetings to everyone.I invite you all to read the poems on my page.Please kindly leave your comments.
    Thank you.

• Ronald Micca (5/10/2012 9:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Yesterday, a supervisor of mine directed me to take down a bulletin board on which I posted student work that demonstrated their understanding of history through the medium of poetry. She said, " What does poetry have to do with history?" She went on to say that poetry is elementary and that poetry isn't rigorous. I vehemently disagree. What are your views?I do not wish to take down the work and I need supporting counter-arguments to her claims. Please respond.

Replies for this message:
    • Denis Martindale (8/17/2013 5:43:00 AM) Post reply

Poetry has been used throughout history in the exploration of historical events and their effects upon the present and future generations. It is possible that the medium of poetry elevates our underst ... more

• Maitiu Brallaghan (10/16/2012 9:04:00 PM) Post reply

It is a little disappointing to see such a narrow-minded response. Think Steve Turner 's 'History Lesson'. My first, and perhaps the strongest argument for an educator, is using Blooms Taxonomy. C ... more

• Mariska Coetzee (5/21/2012 8:53:00 AM) Post reply

I do agree with you. Poetry has been stereotyped by society, and it sad considering how little people know about it. Most people would easily sing along to a song but would never read a poem in their ... more

• Danjosh Zeus (4/7/2012 6:00:00 AM) Post reply

hi to all im new here.....
    im inviting you all to
    please read my poems
    and add some comments.thx

• Rachael Learning Matters (4/3/2012 11:26:00 AM) Post reply

The Shared Poetry Project — inspired by this John Merrow blog entry:

http://takingnote.learningmatters.tv/?p=5454 — we'd like to invite public school students to film community members reciting lines of poetry, then edit the readings into a video for the Learning Matters YouTube channel. This exciting project provides students the opportunity to develop or strengthen real-world skills of teamwork, quality control, and production. It also can introduce the 80% of Americans who do not have school-aged children to the remarkable abilities of our youth. Not to mention exposes them to some great poetry!

Project Guidelines may be found here: http://bit.ly/xp2Jgz

A great project for National Poetry Month!

[Hata Bildir]