Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mike Acker Mike Acker Male, 60, Canada (8/8/2014 4:52:00 PM)

Jim, I have had the same thing happen to me.

All the nonsense that goes on here is just noise. At the end of the day it is about the ability to write and whether a poet is improving or not(whatever that means) . For me it has NEVER been personal, but if someone attempts to declare themselves the big fish here, then their poetry had better measure up to the claim.

At the risk of repeating myself, on a scale of 1 to 10(with 10 representing, say, Wallace Stevens' poetry) , I would categorize myself as a 3-5(improving) with some poems reaching a 6 or even a 7(not many) . For someone who has only been reading and writing poetry since April/May 2012, I think 3-4 is damn good!

My judgement of my poetry is based on my instincts, which I trust very much.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (8/9/2014 10:49:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I will rephrase the last statement above. My judgement of my poetry is based on my instincts, along with input from trusted critiques.
    The biggest turn-off to a reader is when they sense that the writer is trying hard to write(Palmer's poetry) a " great" poem, rather than writing good poetry(similar to noticing an actor trying to " act" ;) .

If what I said implied that I regard myself as a big fish, then I will take back the comment about one of my poems being a 7. Humility and an honest sense of where I really stand as a poet are extremely important to me.

• Rookie - 320 Points Jim Hogg (8/9/2014 6:36:00 AM) Post reply

Mike... you've just declared yourself a " big fish" with that 7 rating for some of your poems...! ! I think maybe it's time for you and the other big fish (Lamont, JC, Delilah, DogGodH, the various pseudonyms, Frank, Frank (FJR) , Danny, the Prof, Angie, Taylor, Jim, and whoever else is up for it) to engage in a little jousting... a new original poem each by 20th August to be judged by all the other forum users over a 10 day period or so, and also advertised on facebook for the less regular users to vote on too (or enter the comp) ... ratings from 1 to 10 by all including the competitors except on their own work.. How about it guys and girls..?

I've never been a great fan of DogGodHate's writing, though I always give it a read as he does have a penetrating mind, and sometimes comes at stuff from unusual angles (as if he's unusually right brain dominant) ... like the contortions of modern morality in his last one posted here..

The dislike button idiocy seems to be similar to the blizzard of " ones" thing that did the rounds a while back... take it as a compliment Mike.

The Prell poem..?It's a poem to learn from I think, one way or another, because it's fundamentally a brave effort... its risky images (and LP knew they were risky when he posted it I'm sure) either do it for you or they don't... But it's one of those poems that should provoke a lot of thought on: .. How far can you push an image.. and what images work?And why is it that one image works and another doesn't? Is the poet's status important... is whether we like the poet important or not for an image to work (in our own mind) ..... - I think it is, as we tend to be very unforgiving of those we dislike, and the very opposite with those we love -.. generally speaking, the more we like a poet and the higher their status in the world of poetry the more they can get away with.....?Whether an image works or not depends on more than just the image... it depends on the reader and also on the writer's previous work.. Sometimes when its' a case of breaking new ground, acceptance is hard to gain.... then suddenly it comes when enough people are persuaded...

As for trusting " instincts" (I'm not convinced there's such a thing as an intellectual instinct) , I'll stick for the moment with the little logic I can muster and as much evidence as I can gather. Instinct's nearest thought related equivalent imv, intuition, may act like an instinct but I think it's just the subconscious doing a little bit of instantaneous guessing, based on automatised patterns of conscious thought... meaning that if your conscious thinking is a mess then your intuition should be ignored... if it's careful, thorough and comprehensive then it might be pretty reliable.. just a thought..

There will be typos...

• Freshman - 1,288 Points Mike Acker (8/8/2014 5:58:00 PM) Post reply

I was going to say:
    " The one entitled Up Your @$$! "

Then I decided that that would be too rude to say, even if it is to an alias.

• Freshman - 1,226 Points Professor Plum (8/8/2014 4:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mike, which poem do you consider a " 7" ?Just curious.

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]