Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Dan Reynolds Male, 55, United Kingdom (5/23/2014 6:59:00 PM)

If you could find a piece of this earth, so blessed with its people, landscape and laws, content with its own individuality, to such a degree, that it would willingly let all else drift into obscurity.... to abandon contact with the trading mentality of many nations, (regardless of the possible failure of OUR own CRUCIAL crop) . to rely on the faith of the fingers, rather than the fingers of faith.... and to live in true tolerance of our mutual failings and failure to forgive....would you even consider such a tenancy as attainable?
As we grow more and more out of and away from our conditioning, we grow more into our personal desires. These desires may well be attributed to and influenced by our upbringing and environmental surroundings, but...in the best of people, they/we will wish to do no harm (without a little humour) .

If you could find a place like this....would you leave the place that could be like that?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 392 Points Bull Hawking (5/25/2014 8:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dan....such a place did exist....if only in the story of Candide....by Voltaire.....called Eldorado....Candide and his servant left because he wanted to find his true love Cunegonde again.....and....ummm....rescue her. I would imagine that many of us have left our " utopia" for similar reasons....love is quite a beast to serve.....as Venus in Furs.....infers.

Yours most humbly

g

• Gulsher John (5/27/2014 1:03:00 PM) Post reply

Ahha Candide.... Voltaire's best ever satire read it long ago....

• Rookie - 193 Points delilah contrapunctal (5/24/2014 5:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

We must, I believe, do what we can to discover such a place inside ourselves....and give of it that which we are able to others...indeed with humor, whenever possible.....good job for, I know...poets....I wish us all successes in these endeavors....I grew up in a little town which has a history of such lovelinesses; poets and other artists/beautifully creative individuals/good humans flourished there at times.....a few survive to this day.......

• Rookie - 465 Points Frank Ovid (5/23/2014 9:18:00 PM) Post reply

We're talking nudist colony, right?Count me in.

[Hata Bildir]