Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (5/4/2014 11:41:00 AM)

To Rizzo, (are you Lamont? Sherrie? Screw all you anonymous trolls) , Any critic who would write, " This is schmaltz, not poetry, " is not worth reading. Poetry (verse) is a kind of writing organized by lines and stanzas. That's ALL it is, not some superior and idealized kind of artistic emoting. An accurate statement would be, " this is schmaltzy poetry."

The designation of " poetry" as some inherently wonderful kind of writing is both confusing and a lie. By implying Levine's poetry is " prose, " this critic is dissing prose, which may employ such " poetic" devices as musicality and figures of speech and be every bit as marvelous as a good poem. In fact, the term " poetry, " a slippery term NO ONE has ever adequately defined, should probably not be used in critical discussions. The term " verse" is more precise. And ask yourself this: have you ever heard a critic say about a badly-written piece of prose, this ISN'T prose?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 1st Stage Alexander Rizzo (5/5/2014 2:57:00 PM) Post reply

i thought the article was interesting, i never said where i come down on the issue,

• Rookie - 1st Stage Mike Acker (5/4/2014 7:24:00 PM) Post reply

Sorry Peter, but your head is more up your @$$$, based on your poetry. Again nothing personal.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Peter Stavropoulos (5/4/2014 6:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I generally agree with your views on poetry, although my head is more in the clouds. It's interesting to hear a more down to earth view. And I like your poems. All the best, Peter.

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]