Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Alexander Rizzo Male, 42, United States (2/15/2014 11:14:00 PM)

Interesting exchange. I would say that being labeled derivative has a greater negative connotation, as Mr. Carter is asserting, speaking more to 'copying' than merely influence. Yet how many imitators did William Carlos Williams, Eliot, Lowell, Plath, and Bukowski spawn?Some were very successful. Therefore being derivative isn't always a bad thing. There have been critical studies done on this very issue - how much should one be influenced by another. Eliot believed that one could be quite original while being closest to his models. I think there's truth to that. So you both have good points. Read Bloom's 'The Anxiety of Influence'.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jim Hogg (2/16/2014 10:54:00 AM) Post reply

Typos... there's always one .. " in the other... " sense" I mean to say... jeez me..

• Lamont Palmer (2/16/2014 10:15:00 AM) Post reply

Rizzo, always be skeptical of declarations from our resident, Prince of Prose. -LP

• Jim Hogg (2/16/2014 8:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There's a certain logic to your view Mr Rizzo. Being " labelled" derivative certainly appears to imply a negative loading, but because being derivative is very difficult to avoid then it probably isn't itself necessarily negative. It's partly in how it's used I suspect (subjectively) , and in the other (objectively if such is possible) depends on the extent to which a writer actually is derivative. Old wine in new bottles, and new wine in old bottles will always be derivative to some degree, though labelled as such only according to the intent or prejudice of the accuser. New wine in new bottles.. now, there's a non derivative state to aspire to..

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]