Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Peter Stavropoulos Peter Stavropoulos Male, 99, Australia (11/7/2013 1:41:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Hi Jefferson, that's a significant change from your original comment. With that change we've gone from Heaven down to Earth and possibly into the classroom. I liked the part in your original comment when you said " The connotations of the term " poetry" are more numerous than the stars above, all of them positive." That was good. So, if I understand you now, a definition of poetry is possible only a widely agreed-upon definition of poetry is impossible. And your definition of poetry is that it is verse. And if I held a completely different opinion of what poetry is I would be as entitled to it as you are to your definition. I would only be " wrong" with reference to you. Thanks.

P.S. I am entering the busiest part of my working week so I may not be able to reply as readily as I would like.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (11/7/2013 5:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Peter, it's not a matter of right or wrong; it's a matter of clarifying our terms so we can have a discussion, not wave at each other from the decks of two ships passing in the night. A single definition of poetry is NOT possible; various permutations of a definition are. I have lots of definitions of " poetry" —little machines made of words, the best words in the best order, deep gossip, etc., etc. I only have ONE definition of verse: writing that is organized by lines and stanzas.

• Peter Stavropoulos (11/7/2013 7:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi Jefferson, It's a little bit difficult for me to have a discussion at this time as I am self-employed and involved in meetings all through the next few days. I have to ask the obvious question, tho ... more

• Steven Ralph (11/7/2013 5:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Peter, we want your reply by midnight. Period. Your 'work-week' is not our concern. We need to keep this train on schedule.

• Peter Stavropoulos (11/7/2013 6:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Scotty, sorry for the late reply, I have to pay my bills. Obviously I agree more with your definitions of poetry and art. The quote by Marianne Moore (a great poet) comes to mind 'I see no reason ... more

[Hata Bildir]