Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (11/7/2013 11:47:00 AM)

Peter, I suppose I can clarify by changing my original comment to " a widely agreed-upon definition of poetry is impossible; all we can do is attempt one. Saying what poetry isn't is a kind of crude, working definition." Poetry (verse, which is writing organized by lines and stanzas) is not the same thing as poetic, an adjective with fiercely positive connotations (musical, spiritual, visionary, blah, blah, blah....) In this sense, all poetry is poetry; all poetry is not poetic. And Doggo, what seems like splitting hairs to you is to me simply clearing away the prickly underbrush of confused terms so we can enjoy a useful discussion about poetics, not the typical murky blurtings our more ignorant PHers indulge in.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 1st Stage Scotty Dogg (11/7/2013 4:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Let me see if I understand. All poetry is not poetic, and everything that is poetic is not necessarily a poem. Verse is poetry, but all poetry is not verse. I'm not adverse to this. All verse is also not poetic, but some is. Some verse is a poem, and some poems are verse, but not all poems are. Verse, that is. Conversely, some poems are not poetic, especially on this site which very nearly all of the poems are rubbish.
    What I meant was that I think Keats, Frost, Cummings, Creeley all wrote/write poetry, verse, poems, prose, and most of it is poetic (good writing) . I think there's room for all the different styles, and the world is a better place for it. We have Mozart and we have The Beatles. They're both terrific. Two completely different styles/forms of music, but they are both great. Same goes for poetry. That's all I'm saying when I say 'splitting hairs'.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 1st Stage Laughing@ You (11/8/2013 7:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

In the final analysis, unless I'm a professor or a student who is majoring in literature with an emphasis on poetry, why would I care?I love to write, as do many of you. I love Jefferson; he is brilli ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Gulsher John (11/7/2013 7:27:00 PM) Post reply

concur Scott's statement... with Mozart n Beatles u have explained things very well

[Hata Bildir]