Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Sherrie Kolb Cassel Sherrie Kolb Cassel Female, 52, United States (11/6/2013 6:26:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Uh....I had a professor about 20 years ago who encouraged us to not get so attached to our work, that if it stank, we would not be able to ditch it. I've seen too many writers, many of them here at PH, who were/are attached, pathologically so, to their work...even, and maybe especially, the bad stuff. I have my awful stuff too, and I mostly am embarrassed when I break it out, like my " Boy at the Bank" - from when I was sixteen...and several other " poems" . I see you growing and morphing into a fine poet, and I appreciate your contributions at Sojourners. " Strewn" is a giant leap for you (from what I've seen of your previous work) , and I am impressed because you've taken Jefferson's challenges to heart and worked and reworked your poetry, buffing it into gold (well, to cop to a cheesy metaphor) .

Re: the grocery list you have here for finding the perfect woman. I'm sure as you fine-tune your art, you'll be able to say this much more succinctly and artistically. In the interim, you might want to post this in the personal section of your local classified, and head it with, " If you like pina coladas..."

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mike Acker (11/6/2013 7:42:00 PM) Post reply

Very good! Especially the pina colada part. It wasn't really a grocery list as much as a an attempt to describe a real Pamela, whom I had not met yet(in person that is) at the time of the poem.

Well, I am pushing them out to sea. Soon they will be pages and pages back as the current takes them out.......

[Hata Bildir]