Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Sherrie Kolb Cassel Sherrie Kolb Cassel Female, 52, United States (11/6/2013 2:17:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

I concur with JC re: Bukowski not being the best " school" for aspiring poets; however, once you have the basics down, enjoy the writers who speak to you, make you think, make you laugh, make you feel, or who impress and inspire the hell out of you. Bukowski is one of those writers for me. He's base, and I'm not, but on occasion give me the good ol' fart joke and you'll have me in stitches, because I tend to be a little on the behaviorally conservative side (not politically though) , and writers like Buk give me a reason to burst out of my shell. I hate Ashbery, however, but that's a taste thing. He does NOT appeal to me at all, and he gets way more accolades than he deserves. (IMO)

Jefferson is hugely misunderstood, even by me at times, and I sort of have a love/hate/hero worship relationship with him. Give the man some credit, yo. He has a doctorate in literature/poetry. I think the man knows what he's talking about (even if I don't always love his delivery) .

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel Rookie - 1st Stage (11/7/2013 12:51:00 AM) Post reply

And yet another difference between us, LP: as a scholar, I am hugely in awe of those who have worked hard and sacrificed much to earn advanced degrees. I, of course, do my own research, but I trust JC and his knowledge of all things literary.

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (11/6/2013 7:57:00 PM) Post reply

Here's my view: I don't need to be aware of what degrees a poet holds. Just show me his poetry; that will reflect what he knows about the craft. -LP

[Hata Bildir]