Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (11/6/2013 1:23:00 PM)

From Gulsher John:

Mike... i think u dint read JC well,
he wants to kills sentiments n feelings in poetry.(what i reckoned from his comments)
he defines poetry - contemporary- is the production of images, like a painting,
he considered Buk, Ashbrey etc a model for wannabes and ESL..
To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

From Jefferson Carter:

John, sometimes I despair. Are we even using the same language (with which) to communicate (with) ?

I want to avoid SENTIMENTALITY (excessive and PREDICTABLE emotion) , not sentiment.

I never define the term " poetry, " contemporary or otherwise. I define VERSE as writing organized by line and stanza.

I don't think Buk and Ashbery are good models for aspiring poets; Buk is too PROSAIC and primitive in his use of verse devices; Ashbery is too idiosyncratic. I'd recommend poets like Elizabeth Bishop, Philip Levine, and Mary Oliver.

To post a reply to this message, click here

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (11/6/2013 2:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I concur with JC re: Bukowski not being the best " school" for aspiring poets; however, once you have the basics down, enjoy the writers who speak to you, make you think, make you laugh, make you feel, or who impress and inspire the hell out of you. Bukowski is one of those writers for me. He's base, and I'm not, but on occasion give me the good ol' fart joke and you'll have me in stitches, because I tend to be a little on the behaviorally conservative side (not politically though) , and writers like Buk give me a reason to burst out of my shell. I hate Ashbery, however, but that's a taste thing. He does NOT appeal to me at all, and he gets way more accolades than he deserves. (IMO)

Jefferson is hugely misunderstood, even by me at times, and I sort of have a love/hate/hero worship relationship with him. Give the man some credit, yo. He has a doctorate in literature/poetry. I think the man knows what he's talking about (even if I don't always love his delivery) .

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (11/7/2013 12:51:00 AM) Post reply Stage

And yet another difference between us, LP: as a scholar, I am hugely in awe of those who have worked hard and sacrificed much to earn advanced degrees. I, of course, do my own research, but I trust JC ... more

• Lamont Palmer (11/6/2013 7:57:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Here's my view: I don't need to be aware of what degrees a poet holds. Just show me his poetry; that will reflect what he knows about the craft. -LP

[Hata Bildir]