Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/27/2013 2:19:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Oh, and, Damian, if you happen to be Lamont, what I say above goes double for you. The more I look at " Damien's" comments above, the more they sound like your typically Lamontian narrow, mulish and mechanical poetic views.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 774 Points Lamont Palmer (10/27/2013 5:20:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

He's harsh because that classical, finer view of poetry you posted, de-legitimizes his own work. I understand his frustration completely. Unfortunately for JC, until Bukowski is considered to be a better poet than Robert Frost, until Hass is greater than Heaney, certain types of free verse will always be critically second rate, whether its 'dominant' or not. Reality TV is dominant in our culture too, presently. But we all know how bad and schmaltzy most of it is. -LP

• Rookie - 75 Points Damian Cranney (10/27/2013 3:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hl'. Jefferson
    I am not Lamont, Quite happy-to stand my own corner. you sound quite harsh in your comments, and obviously feel strongly about The subject which I respect. However the fact you feel my views are dated, does not make them any less valid.

I took on board what you said about reading " Free Verse" An Essay On Prosody" by Charles Hartman. Having read the first chapter I am not converted, but find it an interesting other point of view. I will reserve judgement when I have given it a fair chance.

Damian Cranney

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 75 Points Lamont Palmer (10/27/2013 9:16:00 PM) Post reply

When one has cultivated, studied, supportable views, its fine to be entrenched. I'm not threatened by anyone's criticism, literary views, or poetry. -LP

• Rookie - 75 Points Jefferson Carter (10/27/2013 5:14:00 PM) Post reply

Damien, if you're really reading Hartman, I suspect you're not Lamont. Being asked to question his entrenched views is too threatening to him. Read ALL of Hartman, and we can talk. Oh, and if your ... more

[Hata Bildir]