Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/26/2013 12:41:00 PM)

Adam Snow, so much of what you're saying below is just wrong. Poetry is NOT dying. It's never been a money-making endeavor. As I write this, thousands of poetasters all over the US are cranking out the crap.

I don't want people to flee from poetry! I want them TO READ IT and BUY IT! ! When was the last time you bought a book of poetry?When was the last time you READ a book of poetry. I'd guess never. You should be ashamed to call yourself a " poet" if all you're doing is filling pages with dreck.

Practicing the same garbage over and over won't help if the writer refuses to study other, better poets and educate himself about his craft. Right now, you are an awful poet. Stop writing for a year (you can always return to it in the future) and immerse yourself in contemporary poetics and good contemporary poetry. Take a writing class in your community or at university.

Poetry is NOT just emotion. It's craft and hard work and love for better poets that create memorable work. If my words hurt, good. Maybe they'll discourage proud no-nothings from wasting their time and my time. Maybe, just maybe, PH's legions of poet wannabes will quit writing and start reading! What a wonderful world that would be!

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

[Hata Bildir]