Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Joaquin Santana Male, 37, United States (10/4/2013 9:26:00 PM)

Some people look for publicity by doing and saying outlandish things. Some people think life is a joke and one day Karma comes along. Anyways, my poem was printed in the Chicago Tribune because it was good. I'm sure there are people that think it was sacrilegious, wrong, disturbing, and full of blasphemy. However, there are other that say it was well written, beautiful, climactic, dramatic, and inspiring. So I guess that it is what it is. Just like Edgar Allen Poe, many people didn't like him or his work. Today his is known as one of the greatest poets ever. At the same time, I have realized that many Professors at the University that I attend seem to think they are brighter than the sun. I guess that is what happens when people get a degree. They tend to think they are better than everyone else and forget where they came from.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (10/5/2013 11:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Joaquin, I'm not sure what your point is in this comment. Are you suggesting you're a great but ignored poet who will be vindicated some day by future readers? If so, I wouldn't use Poe as a model for this pipe dream. His contemporaries called him " The Jingle Master" and most thoughtful readers of poetry today consider him a poet whose work ranges from mediocre to terrible. For me, Poe's poetry is a jokeā€”all that ominous Gothic window dressing expressed in bouncy anapestic rhythms. PU!

Replies for this message:

To read all of 2 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]