Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/4/2013 3:41:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Minas, first, some editors consider posting a poem online is publishing it (don't ask me why) and won't accept already published work. These poems are some of the more popular ones from my 7th and 8th book. 2nd, " talking about" is the problem; the reader needs to experience what love and passion feel and look like, not just be told about them. The best way to do this is use images, appeal to the senses, not list a string of abstract words, which refer to intangibles, to ideas. It's the old show/don't tell command.3rd, ah well....

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 9 Points Minas Harutunian (10/5/2013 1:24:00 AM) Post reply

Jefferson, i agree with your point about the online publishing. I myself don't see it as a legitimate form of publication, rather a " just for fun" thing that people do. additionally, i still have difficulty understanding how some people consider themselves to be " writers" or whatever they want to call themselves by only publishing stuff online. it, in a sense, is like contributing something to Wikipedia and claiming that the information is all true, or that the contributor is a writer (i think you see where im going with this) . However, playing devils advocate here which i like to do, if publishing things online is solely for their own comfort or " just for the hell of it, " without any desire to gain popularity, recognition etc...then, i do support a person's desire to publish online because writing can be helpful to some. Personally, my intention here, is to test the waters, and like you recommended earlier, find ways to improve my writing to where i can bring meaning to them and not only focus on love/sadness etc...in any case, thanks for your responses. i will make every effort i can to improve on my work because i love it so much.

thanks,
    minas.

• Rookie - 680 Points Gulsher John (10/4/2013 6:47:00 AM) Post reply

hahaha wow that's great if i am not wrong then modern poetry is an art where words turn into images.... but what kind of images?surrealistic or natural?
    anyhow i getting you slowly...
    tough but interrsting
    john...

[Hata Bildir]