Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/3/2013 2:47:00 PM)

John Gulsher writes, JC, honestly tell us what's the difference b/w the poets you mentioned to Minas and the poets of The Victorian age or of 18th century?
is it theme, style, structure, setting or syntax and diction?
i will be be glad to have an authoritative answer......

Well, John (I'm assuming you exist) , I can't give you a definitive answer, at least not without writing a 400 page tome about the history of English poetry. A very general answer would be the difference between them is E VERYTHING! ! GOOD contemporary poets (and modern poets, meaning, in the context of my advice to Minas, someone like Elizabeth Bishop) write free verse (again, Bishop being the exception here) , mine their personal experiences for subject matter, and depend on figures of speech and line/stanza breaks to heighten their language. The more avant-garde contemporaries, John Ashbery's imitators and numerous poets pouring out of MFA programs, favor language-driven poetry more than subject-driven verse, a focus on the texture and music of words more than on their meaning, disjunctive and non-linear development of the poem. What else can I say?I love good 18th-century and Victorian English poetry (Pope, Burns, Wordsworth, Rbt.Browning and lots more) , but the models our ESL po-pals are following, if any, are the really crappy examples of bromide-laden magazine verse of those earlier times.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 680 Points Gulsher John (10/3/2013 8:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hunn... that's why sometimes this modern prosody seems a bit weird to us.
    could you mention any book/article that explores the Art of modern poetry writing etc
    and many thanks JC for ur time

cheers

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (10/3/2013 9:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

John, the book I like best is Charles Hartman's " Free Verse." It's brilliant and not too difficult to understand (and worth the effort to understand it.)

[Hata Bildir]